PDA

View Full Version : Mini Reef and Protein Skimmer

ivo
Fri Mar 23, 2007, 12:54 PM
hi guys, could you please tell me what is mini reef system in a tank and how does it work? if i just want to keep fish and no live rocks do i need mini reef system? also for a 200 litres tank what brand and size of protein skimmer would you recommend? thanks.

lachlan
Sat Mar 24, 2007, 07:05 AM
hey

a mini reef is often reffered to as a nano tank, and isn't recomended as a beginners tank. i am no expert at marine tanks but the bigger the tank is the easier it is to keep the paramaters stable. it is also easier to keep LR in a tank as you really don't need to worry about filtraton if you have it.

as for the protein skimmer, have no idea LOL

Ben
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 02:58 AM
A mini reef tank is set up so it contains predominantly corals/ invertebrates.

2 foot cube tanks are usually set up in this manner.

Here is a photo of one of my small tanks, not a mini reef tank but gives you an idea on how a small tank can look. Due to lighting restrictions I have only soft type corals. Its 48 Litres.

Ben
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 03:00 AM
As far as protein skimmers go, a Jebo hang on would work.....Red sea skimmers are excellent but if the budget allow's go a aqua-medic!

Palpatine
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 04:48 AM
I think what he is referring to is a "minireef" sump. It's basically a small sump with a spraybar, some filter sponge and a lot of bioballs. Not really used by reef keepers these days because of the nitrate issues they cause. However, if all you're looking for is a fish only having one would be very useful.

Almost compulsory if you don't have any live rock.

lachlan
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 05:36 AM
ben do you use a sump with your nano?

ivo
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:13 AM
Hi Palpatine, thank you. That was exactly my question in regard to mini reef. Looking to set up a 200 litres tank and keep a few fish.

One more question or make it two. How often do i need to do water change and how much? What is the best way to mix marine salt with water? (sorry thats three questions) someone told me that the salt dont all get dissolved immediately and is quick easily over salted the tank from putting too much.

lachlan
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 07:48 AM
the number of water changes depends on the number of fish, the more fish the more water you would have to cahnge and the more frequently you would have to do it.

as for the salt water there are two options of salt water
1. natural sea water
2. artificial sea water

1. is good if you live close to the beach and have means of getting the seawater from the beach to your house whitout making a massive mess.
(some ppl have problems with this because of some of hte nasties which are in NSW)

2. artificial sea water is the packet mixes that comanies sell for a massive mark up. i would recomend invesitng in a couple of 20l or so buckets so you cam mix up the water with the salt the night before and set it to the right salinity.

hope this helps!!

ivo
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 09:29 AM
Thank you...one more question if you don't mind. Do i need to clean the coral sand? do people use undergravel filtration?

Nathan
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 06:19 AM
Thank you...one more question if you don't mind. Do i need to clean the coral sand? do people use undergravel filtration?

you need to rinse the sand before putting it in your tank, and no one uses under gravel filtration for marine as it is no where near enough effective, plus the sand will fall between the crack of the base plastic plate thingo.

if you meant cleaning the sand in liek gravel vaccum? i dont really think so, i personaly dont i just stir it up an suck up anything that floats up apart from that i dont stick the syphon in the sand

lachlan
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 01:32 PM
most reefers despise UGF(under gravel filters)
i really don't ant to go int the details of it but in a simplified version, most sandbeds are between 4-6". this allows an area for anerobic organisms to live. these anerobic organisms nemove nitrates from the water, releasing them into the atmosphere as nitrogen gas, thus removing those problem nitrates from our tanks. putting in UGF's creates water movement through the sand and removes that anerobic section, meaning that the denitrifying bacteria can't survive and more frequent water changes.

if you use live rock wiht a DSB you shouldn't ahve any issues with nitrates but in saying that you will still HAVE to do water cahnges