PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel Question

chrissyoscar
Tue Mar 20, 2007, 09:30 AM
This is to Dee and Nathan and anybody else who happens to have a Flame Angel with corals.
I want to get one but before I do are any of you having trouble with your Flame Angel attacking corals. I've heard that they can nip at corals and after the problem I had with my butterfly I want to make sure they are reef safe.

Ben
Tue Mar 20, 2007, 10:13 AM
Mine has never touched a coral but not to say they dont. You cant compare with them biting corals with a klienni butterfly. With a tank of your size you will be fine Oscar and find it an awesome addition to your tank. You can only have one FA per tank though which is a bummer as they are stunning!

HTH :D

chrissyoscar
Tue Mar 20, 2007, 10:28 AM
Thank for that ben
In that case I'll make it my first addition.
Might have to place an order in with Amazing Amazon.

Nathan
Tue Mar 20, 2007, 11:45 AM
mine hasnt touched a coral, not yet anyway.

mines been doing great, pecks at the live rock (algea on it) now an then, but eats very well and i havnt seen it touch a coral.

definitely a must have fish, they are just absolutely amazing to look at an watch

Robdog
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 02:22 AM
A few places up here have recieved some big shipments of dwarf angels in the last week. Bicolour, coral beauty and a few others but no Flames. I got myself an awesome little Coral Beauty. Irredescant blue like you wouldn't even see on a Blue Ram with a yellowy-orange midsection.
He's great although a little shy when I intro'd him. Same as Nathans. Pecks at the rocks but haven't seen him do it to the corals yet. Yet!

Nathan
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 06:10 AM
i wanna get a bicolour but ben keeps tlkn me out of it.

Robdog
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 07:15 AM
Bah! What would he know?? :roll: :wink: :lol:

nicholas76
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 07:21 AM
Ozzy never had an issue with mine mate

with flames what you see is what you get , there colours wont mature as they get older. so its best to select one as opposed to place an order and then end up with somthing that isnt as colourful as the next one you see

Nathan
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 07:43 AM
Bah! What would he know?? :roll: :wink: :lol:

yeah i heard he knows a few things, but i get what u mean rob :lol:

chrissyoscar
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 12:53 PM
with flames what you see is what you get , there colours wont mature as they get older. so its best to select one as opposed to place an order and then end up with somthing that isnt as colourful as the next one you see

Thanks for the tip Nick. I'll keep an eye open till i see something I like. If it's not a flame angel then i'll get a coral beauty.
Both are stunning fish but I'm slightly leaning towards flame angel so I'll have to do the rounds soon.
Maybe this Saturday i'll go to Amazing Amazon, reeflections, and Mentone and hopefully one of them will have a real nice looking one.
On second thoughts I'ld better ring them first to make sure they have one.

It's good to see that everybody who has or had one never had issues with them. that's the response I was hoping for.

Thanks guys.. Oscar

Dee
Wed Mar 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
Heya Oscar,

My FA is tipping 3.5-4inch on the size scale and is a bit of of a bruiser with my corals and other fish. He tends to nip at the corals from time to time making them recede, but no real harm is done. It's more of a investagative nip as opposed to eating or a real bite, if that makes sense ? He also gets a kick out of making my feather dusters retract by giving them a nice lil nip whenever he passes LOL. As I said he's not really doing any real damage, I think he's just looking for food scraps around the tank.

Nathan, I wouldnt put two dwarf angels in a tank the size of the RSM. I guess it could be done, but once they grow out I reckon you could have a battle royale on your hands. The FA is king of my RSM and if any other fish get too close during dinner time he definatley lets em know with a swift nip ... he's a great little character hehe just a bit of a boof head at times ;)

All in all I wouldn't hesitate in getting a F.A and it could be just mine that carry's on like that, luck of the draw I guess ... having said that I wouldnt have it any other way ... he's a awsome fish with a truck load of personality :thumb:

Cheers,

Dee :)

Nathan
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:03 AM
yea thasts the reason im not gonna put two angels in cz not enough room.

Robdog
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 07:47 AM
I think the amount of positive things that these guys bring to the tank, far outweigh any negative attributes they may have.
I did a bit of a rock-scape change yesterday and was a little disappointed with the end result as I had blocked up a lot of caves that my coral beauty would swim through. I left it an hour and sure enough he had sussed out the new style and seems to have found passages and openings I didn't even know I'd made. Smart little fishy this one.

Dee
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 08:58 AM
I think the amount of positive things that these guys bring to the tank, far outweigh any negative attributes they may have.

Exactly, anyway if they start nipping it's minimal damage ;)

Cheers,

Dee.

Nathan
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 09:02 AM
i love the FA seriously, im gonna get a pic of mine its just awesome, such vibrant colour and neon blue on its tail u wouldnt beleive

nicholas76
Thu Mar 22, 2007, 10:59 AM
If they want somthing to nip at try this,

get some sushi ( sea weed sheets ) forgive me im tired and cant recall what they are actually named.

you can find them at coles for a few dollars. Get some cloves of garlic and slice and paste the wet side allover a sheet.. Grab a bit of live rock wrap the sea weed around it , tie it down with an elastic ban and throw it in your tank

your marines will get drawn to it and nip at it all day till its all eaten.

my blennies and other nippy fish loved it and it distracts them from your coral.

chrissyoscar
Sun Mar 25, 2007, 04:50 AM
Well I've just got my first angles.
What i got was a Coral Beauty and a Bicolor Angel.
The Bi color is a stunner and the coral beauty is quite nice as well.
I'll take pics soon.