PDA

View Full Version : building a tank rack...

Trebs
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 01:25 AM
Hi

I currently have 3 x 18inch cube tanks and 1 x 3foot by 18inch by 18inch in my laundry. At the moment they all run on separate hang-on filters.

My plan is to use the 3foot as a sump/wet+dry on the bottom and have two rows of 18 cubes - 2 on each row. Space restictions prevent me from having more tanks on each row otherwise I would go for 3-4 cubes per row.

This little project of mine will spawn many, many questions so, I'll start with what I need to get going and then progress from there.

Firstly I want to build a metal stand using 1.5-2inch square steel tubing(which I have seen on other setups). My Dad has all the necessary equipment to cut and bolt it together - as long as I can con him into doing it. Anyone know the best place to source the materials for this?

I have existing tanks, can anyone recommend a place to get tanks drilled (50mm hole in base)?

That's it for now. I will put together a diagram and you guys can let me know if I'm on the right track or headed for a wet floor...

kalebjarrod
Fri Oct 01, 2004, 09:31 PM
hay trebs,

50mm holes are WAY big, thats a two inch pipe, try 32mm or even 25mm should be more than fine

i use 32mm on my 490lt tank and it is a little big

as for the metal supply, this is one thing i don't know about

cheers :wink:

Trebs
Sat Oct 02, 2004, 01:33 AM
Yes, I took a stroll through Bunnings and 50mm is pretty huge. I'll look at one of the smaller gauges.

Thanks.