PDA

View Full Version : Albino

samir
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 03:48 PM
trash it if you must :P

scott bowler
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 03:57 PM
there is nothing wrong with this fish ,it has good shape .good fins ,and good colour , the only thing is that the eye could be redder around the iris

samir
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 04:04 PM
and the small fact that she's an aggressive little sh1t and likes to kill other fish :x

scott bowler
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 04:12 PM
well how is she with the batch that she has just had mate

the german
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 12:22 AM
i agree with scott,she is a beauty

DiscusEden
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 09:46 AM
She is very beautiful Samir.

How is she doing now?

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:48 AM
she's doing great , actually got some fry to attach to her :shock:

scott bowler
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:09 AM
did they eat all the Albino fry samir .

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:13 AM
those fry are not albino but also intermediates. they didn't eat any but they destroyed a lot of eggs trying to clean the the infertile ones and i was too lazy to cage them.

Xtreme
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:33 AM
looks crap lol

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:47 AM
looks crap lol

could have been worse, i could have used my nokia :P hahaha

Xtreme
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:42 PM
Yes it would have been worse, Nokia are crap too lol :P

forrest
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 06:19 PM
hi samir,
albinos have bad eye sight,that is why they miss peck on the good ones.to me,even a normal discus dont have very good eye sight as well(my opinion,i could be wrong),cos even normal healthy ones will missed peck on good eggs as well.

rgds,
forrest.

DiscusMad
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 06:26 PM
all beautiful ladies have hiden homicidal tendencys

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:38 PM
hi samir,
albinos have bad eye sight,that is why they miss peck on the good ones.to me,even a normal discus dont have very good eye sight as well(my opinion,i could be wrong),cos even normal healthy ones will missed peck on good eggs as well.

rgds,
forrest.

i think she laid too close together, my pairs that lay spaced out don't have this problem

samir
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:07 AM
here's the two of them, he's a big guy about 18+ cm

mistakes r crucial
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 05:05 AM
I wish I could trash that fish so much it would put you off it and send it North. Very nice Samir, notwithstanding the homicidal tendencies.
MAC

samir
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 05:15 AM
she hasn't shown any aggression since she spawned.

one very strange observation is that only the fry that are the same colour as her will attach, i see a black one now or then but they rush back to the brown after a couple of seconds. :? both colours attach to the brown without any hassels.

mistakes r crucial
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 05:55 AM
They're probably aware of her reputation lol.
MAC

samir
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 06:02 AM
:lol: :lol: she's been behaving very well recently. she did all the moving of fry and most of the fanning. seems like a very good parent.

DiscusEden
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
all beautiful ladies have hiden homicidal tendencys

Who hides?

She for one seems quite up front about it. And I've gotta respect that.

Great to hear she's such a good Mum Samir! So there's a mix of albinos and intermediates now? Great news!

samir
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 11:54 AM
nope, they seem to be all intermediates , its confusing that they would be two colours, i can vaguely remember studying albinism in university, i wish i had paid more attention :x

DiscusEden
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:09 PM
In horses it's a double recessive gene - same thing in mice. It's a long time since I looked at it though.

In horses the "split" gene I think is responsible. The intermediate is expressed in the phenotype as either palamino or buckskin, depending on the base colour of the parents (light or dark). In other words, there's more than one gene/alelle involved. Breed the 2 intermediates & you get a horse that gets skin cancer early.

I had an idea in mice that the intermediate shows no sign of the recessive gene in its phenotype (how its body looks).

Could be either pattern, but if it was like the horse thing (controlled by more than 1 gene) it might explain the different coloured eggs.

But really, I have no idea about discus & I'm making it up as I go along now. Still looking for some reference on discus genetics.

samir
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:27 PM
i think you're right.
thank God I didn't go to med school, would have been another Dr Death on the prowl.

DiscusEden
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:55 PM
Good to know the principle that got me through Uni still holds:
"say it with confidence & people will believe anything".

I'm just making this up as I go along mostly.

I'd wait to hear from someone who knows what they're on about before believing what I said. I was mostly using your principle - while Merrilyn's taking a break, I can spread misinformation to my heart's content. Ironic that you of all people might believe it. (Lol)

samir
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm just making this up as I go along mostly.

why would you want to make stuff up ??
my post in Merrilyn's thread meant unintentional misinformation.

i did get a very similar explanation from someone else so i'm even more confused now. :? i cannot remember a single word from uni. Guess its better to get my answers from Google.

samir
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 02:18 PM
cr@p i sound rude up there :shock: sorry forgot to add the emoticons :oops:

DiscusMad
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 04:00 PM
well in the old days they say having children calms the woman down! LOL

DiscusMad
Thu Mar 15, 2007, 04:04 PM
i did get a very similar explanation from someone else so i'm even more confused now. :? i cannot remember a single word from uni. Guess its better to get my answers from Google.

YES! love the school of google it has been more helpful than the teachers at school :lol: