PDA

View Full Version : Biotodoma cupido

Ben
Sat Mar 10, 2007, 10:25 AM
I have 5 young adult cupid cichlids that i am trying to breed. So far a male has started to make a pit.

Very hard to get a good photo as they are very shy fish!

chris_
Sun Mar 11, 2007, 10:06 AM
hey,
I have 4 of these littlies and have had them for about a year (formally 6, 1 got bloat not long after i got them and another managed to squeeze out through the smallest gap between the lid and side of the tank). Anyways, like yours mine were very very shy however now that they live with my big heckelii and orange caps they seem to be much more active, I would go as far as to say they are probably the most active fish in the tank. Mine always seem to be digging pits too. However i cant figure out if i any females, do you have a "confirmed" female? Every one i have and have had, have lines under the eyes not one has the spots as described in Thomas Weidners book. There are some however who are smaller then the others and who's stripes are not as prominent and has the rounded fins. I am confused as to whether i have females or not. As mention though mine are still only about 1 and a little bit years old so this trait may develop as the fish matures.
Anyways
Cheers Chris

mistakes r crucial
Sat Mar 31, 2007, 01:39 AM
Never heard of anyone breeding these in a tank so GO Ben! One of my favourite Cichlids too so put me on the list for fry sales if you crack them.
MAC

gibbo91
Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:37 PM
:shock: Lucky bugger.......... Looking to sell any?! :P

Reillin
Mon May 07, 2007, 07:27 AM
Congrats Ben,

Are these the "santarem" locale?

Cheers,
Vien.

Ben
Mon May 07, 2007, 08:31 AM
these are Santarem's. No luck with them breeding yet.

mistakes r crucial
Mon May 07, 2007, 08:35 AM
Slack ass Ben lmao!
MAC

Ben
Mon May 07, 2007, 08:52 AM
LOL Mac!

Not sure what the little buggers are thinking but no spawns yet!

Any ideas?

chris_
Mon May 07, 2007, 12:23 PM
Can you confirm you have both males and females using the dots and lines method? I’m just curious as a lot of stuff I have read about them seems to indicate that there are a unusually large proportion of males and no females in the aquarium trade.

Cheers
Chris

mistakes r crucial
Mon May 07, 2007, 07:19 PM
From the little I know about them Ben they are pretty hard to breed full stop. If you do then you deserve one big pat on the back.
MAC

gingerbeer01
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 06:04 AM
So how about an update on these guys?

mistakes r crucial
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 06:12 AM
I can guarantee you one thing with Cupidos, if he'd had bred them we'd have heard about it.
MAC

Ben
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 07:29 AM
I can guarantee you one thing with Cupidos, if he'd had bred them we'd have heard about it.
MAC

Thats for bloody SURE!!

sad to say i gave up......

gingerbeer01
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 08:37 AM
so does everyone have males only?

Robdog
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 09:52 AM
How do they go with the plants Ben?? Do they do their own landscaping or leave the place as is?

Ben
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 11:10 AM
They move the substrate a small amount but would be fine with plants.

Chilli Powder
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 03:43 AM
Any luck Ben? Do you still have them?

Cheers

Ben
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 10:29 AM
unfortantly no...

i tried bloody hard though!