PDA

View Full Version : Establishing the pecking order vs stressing out the new one

Mta472
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 12:37 AM
I have a 55 gallon tank with four discus ranging in size from 3 to 4.5 inches. On Sunday I purchased a 3 inch silver pigeon. As soon as I added her to the tank, the other 3 inch golden started chasing her relentlessly. The other three larger discus seem, for the most part, disinterested.

Could not get online here because of password problems until now. In the meantime, I opted to remove the agressive 3 inch golden to another tank and let the silver pigeon have at least a few days to acclimate to the new tank without getting stressed out and perhaps sick from continuously being chased by 3 inch golden .

She has started to eat and is doing well.

The three inch golden is NOT eating but I was treating him for Hex in the 55 with Metro as he was not eating there either. He is now in a bare bottom 10 gallon where I am treating for Hex with Metro and raising the temp to 85, (90?).

Its probably wise to leave him there but for how long?

Thanks...........Mike

mistakes r crucial
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 02:58 AM
Hi Mike,

Looks like this post got missed somehow which is most unusual.

I'd be leaving him there until you've completely finished the Hex treatment which you probably have by now. However, I'd be keeping an eye on all fish in your 55 as it is not difficult for the rest of them to pick it up if they are under any type of stress. The fish that got Hex, was he/she at the lower end of the pecking order?
MAC

Mta472
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 12:30 PM
I moved the golden to a 20 gallon and continue to treat with Metro to no avail. Back in the 55 TWO of the remaining four discus are now not eating so I am continuing to treat that tank too. Potentially I stand to loose thre out of five discus. HELP!!!

the german
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 12:56 PM
hi mike
give us some water parameter please

Mta472
Tue Mar 13, 2007, 06:49 PM
hi mike
give us some water parameter please
Water temperature 84 degrees, pH 6.8, soft water. Just added 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons water

the german
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
any idea what your nitrate and amonia levels are?

Mta472
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:47 PM
any idea what your nitrate and amonia levels are?no nitrates or ammonia present. Yesterday I gave the golden in the isolation tank some live balck worms and he gobbled them up! First food consumed in 18 days. Gave the 55 gallon some live brine shrimp and red royal blue gobble them up. Will have to wean them off but for now are eating something.

Thanks..........Mike

samir
Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:51 PM
no need to give them live worms, it takes 2-3 days for them to start eaitng with metro. i'd suggest not feeding them any live food except artemia.