PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running two canister filters

buttnaked
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 06:27 AM
Just wondering if anyone running two canister filters in there tanks.

I have 400 litre tank with 30+ tetras and planning to buy four to six med size discus. It will be a well planted tank (but not heavily planted). I notice oneside/corner of the tank has more fish poo floating around and on the gravel bed, especailly when the fish stirs things up.

I'm currently running Aqua Pro CF-1200 Litre p/h - looking at buying a smaller canister filter so the water will filter and circulate better.

any advice??

Mattzilla
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 08:09 AM
there is nothing wrong with having 2 canister filters. especially on a 400ltr tank

Proteus
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 09:02 AM
I have 2 canisters running on my 350L tank (the only non-sump tank I run)

Chris McMahon
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 10:40 AM
I've got 2x CF-1500s on my 5x2x2.

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 01:44 PM
I run 4 cannister filters on my 8x2x2 and UVS. Water clarity is fantastic.

weird
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:03 PM
I am having the same problem as above with using 1 cannister filter, except all the poo, alot of it too, groups in the middle. Makes it easy to clean with the vacuum but a little unsightly. May be adding another cannister.

weird
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:03 PM
When running multiple cannisters, do you clump the inlets together and stager the outlets, or just stager the inlets, outlet,inlet , outlet etc. Also for those using UV filters, you have one for each canister right ? wowee ... the price adds up for a super clean big tank.

Mattzilla
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:45 PM
i think you would only need one uv steraliser....

and i think you could stagger all the ins and outs. there would be no need to join them up.

Chris McMahon
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:45 PM
When running multiple cannisters, do you clump the inlets together and stager the outlets, or just stager the inlets, outlet,inlet , outlet etc. .I don't use the 2nd set of inlets/outlets at all. I have my 2 set up in series using a single set of pipes.

Also for those using UV filters, you have one for each canister right ?Nope, just the one UV is all that's needed.

weird
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 09:12 PM
Oh. Chris, do you mind posting a pic of your setup if possible. Realise probably not that easy to get behind your tank once it is setup and all. I am really curious. As I will be getting a UV filter, and also an external heater this might be a little bit of an undertaking to get all this right.

weird
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 01:37 AM
OK, I have done some research and something which seems to have not been mentioned is the importance of using something like a pre-sponge filter on the inlets of the cannister filters from stopping faeces and food bits gettings sucked up.. Are most people running these ?

flukes
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 01:38 AM
They are a good idea, helps out so you dont have too open up your cannister too get out all the loose food and debris.

You must clean the sponge often though.

Chris McMahon
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 04:49 AM
Oh. Chris, do you mind posting a pic of your setup if possible. Realise probably not that easy to get behind your tank once it is setup and all. I am really curious. As I will be getting a UV filter, and also an external heater this might be a little bit of an undertaking to get all this right.My CF card recently went belly up. :evil:

But it's not that hard to describe:
Tank outlet -> Filter 1 Inlet -> Filter 1 Outlet -> Filter 2 Inlet -> Filter 2 Outlet -> UV -> heater -> Tank Intlet.
You could swap the last two if you wanted as it wouldn't make that big a difference.

like a pre-sponge filter on the inlets of the cannister filters from stopping faeces and food bits gettings sucked up.. Are most people running these ?I don't use them myself. I don't need one on my 5x2x2 as the outlet for the tank is 12+" above the substrate. On my other smaller tanks I haven't seen the need. I over filter (eg CF-1500 on a 120lt tank) and clean the filters every 3 months or so.