PDA

View Full Version : discus - lob-sided?

djceri_g
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 10:26 AM
A friend of mine needs advice. She bought a big discus yesterday afternoon. she left the light off all yesterday and the discus was swimming and feeding healthy only slightly on one side. Is this how they swim anyway? she has put the lights on this morning and he had eaten tetra prima and swimms around quite happy but still a bit lob-sided! it this normal? thanks

scott bowler
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:05 AM
hi djceri_g this may sound silly but do you have a bare tank , is there a chance that it can see its self in the bottom of the tank

djceri_g
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 11:43 AM
so, the tank has got 1 inch gravel topped with 1 inch sand.

Ph: 6.8
NitrAte between 0 - 10
NiraIte 0
Ammonia 0
Temp 30 digeees c

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 12:36 PM
Sometimes I think the catching and transporting of large fish upsets their balance for a few days.

Give it a few more days to settle in, and then let us know how it is.

djceri_g
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 01:18 PM
lets hope so! he seems happy enough and isn't shy at all! he/she has took a interest for the common plec. Also, is it a good idea to have a spare tank? maybey a 45L as a hospital tank? how many discus can be kept in a 96L juwel reckord? Thanks guys

benjohnson
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 01:41 PM
The rule of thumb is one Adult dicus per 40 litres of water, so 2 in your case.... However, Discus prefer some height to length, and the Rekord 96 is long as opposed to high from memory, Maybe worth you considering trading that tank in for a slighty different one with some extra height?

Also , Discus like to be kept in small groups of 5 or more, if you have 2 that aren't a pair one will bully the other to the point it will probably give up the ghost unfortunately :-(

Consider a slightly larger tank if you can :-)

djceri_g
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 01:52 PM
juwel 96L is:Height 46cm x 81cm wide x 36cm deep
great advice! Do you think I should stick to what Ive got? or don't they like being alone? would like to get a corner tank but money is tight at the moment. Also, lack of space!

benjohnson
Fri Mar 02, 2007, 10:41 PM
Ah ok, thats not too bad.

They prefer being in slightly larger groups.... but you have to bear in mind you will need the room to have them grow to be up to 7 inches big in theory, so therefore the 40 litres per fish should cater for that without a problem.

If you can fit it in , and you want to stick o Juwel tanks... a Rio 300 would be spot on for 6 odd discus and some friends, or a trigon 350 is a nice corner tank .

I hear what your saying about the money though, fish keeping can be pretty steep!! If you havnt bought your discus yet, i would have a think about it long term, having 2 in a tank (Unless you buy a pair of course, but it will mean you cant really have any tank mates) will result in one out gunning the other

djceri_g
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 10:56 AM
My friend Discus is doing well now. not lob-sided now!

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:01 AM
That's good to hear.

Discus are tougher than we give them credit for.

Support them with lots of water changes, warmth and good food, and a lot of problems they will sort out by themselves :P

djceri_g
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:02 AM
Ive got the same problems hs her. both of us have got the same tank and lack of space. Myself, i have been thinking of getting a corner tank but cannot afford a brand new one. I also have one discus and seems okay on its own. I got mine from the same shop as my friend but I didn't have a problem with mine being lob-sided. I would love a group of them but maybey if I get my hands on a trigon! What If I put a baby angel with my discus to keep it company or is that a bad idea?

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:06 AM
Bad idea. Even the experts don't mix angels with discus. :wink:

djceri_g
Sat Mar 03, 2007, 11:23 AM
Ive heard it's compatable if you add the Angel after the discs or both at the same time (when baby's) my discus seems to be okay onn his own but i'm worried about the furure. maybey he wont live that long?

nicholas76
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 12:23 PM
It makes no diffrence who goes in first. Once there in , some diseases can transfer.

I'd keep my prize Discus on there own not with Angels.

djceri_g
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 06:52 PM
It makes no diffrence who goes in first. Once there in , some diseases can transfer.

I'd keep my prize Discus on there own not with Angels.Ye, you are right! Well, i have decided to get a 190L juwel tank :roll: so Im sure I will have room fr approx 4 Discus in there! :D also, I will be keeping my 96L Juwel incase we get a pair! :D