PDA

View Full Version : lighting for a 5ft by 2ft by 2ft

Jonesy
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 06:17 AM
what size light will i need for a 5ft by 2ft by 2f tank.... i know i will need a 5 ft long light but do u think i will need a dubble tubed light .. this is going to be my discus tank with lots of plants.... thanks

flukes
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 02:55 PM
Depends on the plants some will require 3watts per gallon some easier types will get away with less light some plants like amazon swords will only require about 1.5watts per gallons.

ml29
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 09:32 AM
As previously mentioned it really depends on the type of plants you want to keep.

In the past when I kept plants with 1 row of fluros I didn't have any success. Plants died after 1 week. I've been told that 3 to 4 rows of fluros running the length of the tank would work.

I'm now using a 150W MH light for my 100x60x60cm tank. I would highly recommend 2 x 150W MH for a 150x60x60cm tank. Plants are finally growing :)

flukes
Thu Sep 30, 2004, 03:28 PM
Have a look on the net for what plants you intrested in, make sure you write down any requirements they need, including lighting. Also work out where in thetank it should be planted and draw up an aerial view of your tank postioning plants where you would like to keep them.

A good place to start is www.plantgeek.net another aquadot site.