PDA

View Full Version : A little help please =]

goldenpigeon
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 04:48 AM
Gday,
i need some help from you DIY nuts like myself.

im right in the middle of making a breeding set up consisting of 2 breeding tanks and a sump.

i already have my stand made and just finishing drilling holes and installing lights. i have the tanks and the sump here ready to go i just need some help/ oppinions on what pump i should get to filter the system and what size holes to drill in the tanks for plumbing?

a bit of info:

the 2 breeding tanks are 920mm x 380mm x 450mm (each holds approx 157L and together hold about 314L).

the sump is 920mm x 460mm x 460mm and matrix style.

so the 3 tanks without any plkumbing hold around 510L of water.

what i need oppinions on is:

* what pump size to get, ill be ordering from ASA so if you want just let me know what model you think ;)
* what size holes i need to drill in the 2 tanks for plumbing

if anyone could shed some light on this i would appreciate it. this will be my first time having a system like this so i want to get it right the first time. i dont want the carpet in my new house getting wet haha. and money being wasted.

thanks in advance!
David

fishgeek
Sun Feb 25, 2007, 11:18 AM
i would suggest a pump that turns over the water volume twice each hour , so in your case around 1000lph

the simplest answer on the plumbing is to have the same size piping up(from the pump to the tanks) as you have on the return/down side

this means you have twice the capacity for return water

andrew
i never found any exact rules for the plumbing when making my first little system and can understand how wanting to get it right is imortant

stonedavid
Tue Feb 27, 2007, 02:14 AM
i wldnt go anything smaller than a 3/4 inch hole in the tanks just in case u wish to add on tankes later and get a bigger pump.

fishgeek
Tue May 01, 2007, 04:19 PM
what did you do in the end david?

andrew