PDA

View Full Version : Water storage containers > 100 litres

weird
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 07:38 AM
Saturday proved frustrating spending 3 hours driving/walking from shops looking for large(ish) water storage containers ...

1. Large Bunnings in St Leonards (Sydney) ... on a hot tip from within these forums that 150, 200 and 300 litre storage water bins can be obtained here (at a Bunnings ... I assume all the large ones carry same stock ... maybe wrong ?) , the staff told me that they no longer carried this item .

2. a few non eventual shops here (water place, mitre ten).

3. Big W ... now a small version found here ...a "willow camper can 25 l".

Too small, so I ended up getting a 65 litres plastic storage thing which will temporily do. What I am really after is something in the range of 100 - 300 litres.

Note:Often recommended solution whilst on the travels ... use a wheelie bin ... but the wife would kill me having one these eye sores in the house.

Proteus
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 07:54 AM
In regards to Bunnings, you need to go out the back... where they have the trade stock.

Due to the size of the Bins, they are kept outside, and I have found at the local Bunnings where they ended up having 50+ on hand, every member of staff in the store said they dont stock them.

I have to go there tomorrow arvo after work, I will get a stock number and availability for you

kalebjarrod
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 08:06 AM
what about the bath as a storage vessal LOL

that will keep the CEO happy

if not use a 44gal drum, put it in the garage or laundry and use a pump with 13mm clear poly to refill tanks.

weird
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 09:17 AM
thanks Proteus, that will be great. I transferred my fish to the 4 ft this weekend, and am starting to do water changes ... best thing I did was get the outside hose setup and dragged through the house when required to do bin refills ... saves a few bucket trips to the basin. Doing this for 2 storage bins in different locations in the house. Back breaker before.

I will do a trip down south if required to get the storage containers ... nice drive and will pop into Xtreme ... want to see some nice cichlids ;)

Kaleb, my mrs went into histerics when she read the CEO post. Haha.

kalebjarrod
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 09:24 AM
My CEO saw it a slapped me LOL

do not fool yourself to think otherwize

we are but a vessel for thier wishes ( as she grabs me by the b...... )

Proteus
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 09:32 AM
oh, you do have a b...rain...

lol

(walked into that one)

:wink:

kalebjarrod
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 08:30 AM
it was actually the b......ack of my head LOL

Proteus
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 10:12 AM
Dave, I didnt get to Bunnings this afternoon, hopefully tomorrow I will get out of work a bit earlier and check it out for you...

:wink:

buttnaked
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 11:39 PM
I brought a 120 litre water storage container + lid with a tap on the bottom from Bunnings in Alexandria. They call it a Water Butt. It's avaliable in black only and made of heavy duty plastic. Cost about $95 bucks.

Go to any Bunning stores in the gardening section (it's where all the compost bins are).

weird
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks, I was at Bunnings last night getting some tap attachments to connect a garden hose to my laundry tap, and again enquiried about storage bins. They told me the St Leonards store, which is huge is too small to have a 'yard', and pointed me in the directions of one of the larger stores.

Dee
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 03:00 AM
G'day Dave :)

just my 2 cents worth .... i have a 4x2x2 with cabinet, i bought a standard 3ft tank (150L) with cover glass and styro for $39.00 from my LFS. This sits in the cabinet below my tank as my water prep and storage container. Im not sure of your set up, so this may not be applicable. Anyway the storage tank is out of sight and is very easy to pump water up into my tank with a cheap water pump. this may be a cheap alternative ?

Cheers

Dee

weird
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 04:46 AM
thanks for the idea Dee. Will look for a cheap 3ft tank, wonder where i can get one so cheap ?

Dee
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 04:54 AM
Hi Dave,

I got mine from a LFS that stocks large quantity's of standard sized tanks cheaply, this was also thier "on special" price. I think they sell the 3ft standards at $45 retail. Im sure sydney would have a aquarium that does the same HTH and good luck :)

Cheers

Dee :)

weird
Wed Sep 29, 2004, 06:40 AM
Saw this in the tradingpost,
2ft $25, 3ft $60, 4ft $70, 6ft $110, 6 x 20 x 18 $150, 4 x 2 x 2 $215, 6 x 2 x 2 $295, 48 x 30 x 24 $375, 72 x 30 x 24 $620, 8 x 2 x 2 $499.
Excludes lids and foam. Custom-made tanks available. Not Just Fish, 463 Princes Highway ROCKDALE 02-9597 4143

I remember trying to see this LFS and St George aquarium which is also in Rockdale on a sunday, both closed. Will check it out on Saturday.