PDA

View Full Version : pH with new fish

DiscusEden
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:36 AM
Hi guys,
I'm panicking. I know it.

Just picked up new fish from the airport (yippee). Brought them home, but my pH was still at 7.2, and they were at 6.8. So I went and bought pH down, put too much in (yes, I know). Now my pH is 6.66 - is it safe to let them out of the bags? Should I use bicarb soda first? They've been in there an awful long time.

Help please?

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 08:46 AM
Have you tried adding some of your tank water to the bag to equalize things.

The longer your fish stay in there, the higher the ammonia and the lower the pH.

Take the plunge and put them in the tank now.

Don't add any water from the bags, it will be full of ammonia. Just net the fish out.

DiscusEden
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:31 AM
Yep, did that & they're all looking good. And the water has now equalised at 6.85. It was 6.7 before they went in, and the CO2 computer thing seems to be holding it at 6.8 to 6.85.

Thanks very much for your help - much appreciated as always!

Oh, did I mention they're not just looking good, they're stunning! Yay! I have the best fish ever! And that's not entirely my bias saying that! Thankyou Xtreme!

The discus are hiding down the bottom, one was initially on its side, but is up now - nothing I haven't read about - and it & the albino have just eaten.

Thanks again! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

scott bowler
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 10:59 AM
DE i am so glad they are there and now you see the fish are great not just taking our word for it . hope it all goes well good luck keep us posted , so happy for you oh stop the happy dance before you try to type haha

DiscusEden
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:08 AM
No happy dance now. Too hard with my face stuck against the glass.

Did you see that albino? I mean, the others are lovely, better than I've seen (no offence to everyone who's fish I've seen - oops - is it poor form to rave about your own fish? They're mine! I've got fish!) - but the albino! I saw 2 in an Adelaide shop - both not great shape & very small, big eyes. If I keep on like this I'm going to have to do photos.... better go now....

scott bowler
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:12 AM
yeah sew the albino i got the other one that looked like it they are awesome hey

scott bowler
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:16 AM
you are going have to get some pics up sooner or later of the tank and the new babys

DiscusEden
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:17 AM
Yup.

And well done you!

axl
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:22 AM
glad to here you finally got your fish. What strains did you end up getting and how are they going now???

DiscusEden
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:30 AM
OK, an excuse - I have (ooh, that sounds good) a RGD, an albino turq, a first of the universe (and the pictures really didn't do it justice, the shape is great!) and a giant anakonda.

Oh, and emperor tetras, cardinals, blue rams, gold rams, bolivian rams, peppermint bristlenose, and a pair of royal whiptails that are bigger and fatter than I thought these things could ever get!

You did ask...

fish_r
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 12:36 PM
loved the setup and the fish DE :wink:
i can see ur going to have a brilliant looking tank and have all the nick nacks to go with it too :) the wood looks superb too :)
epecially loved the discus's u got, my favs were the FOTU and the Albino turk
the fish looked really healthy, and yep the pics didnt do em justice "especially the FOTU" "stunning" "i was very jealous"
was also suprised @ the size of the whiptails, didnt think they got that big either.
thank u so much for getting me the peppermints, i really appreciate it :)
now just to hope i got at least 1 male 1 female

axl
Wed Feb 21, 2007, 11:18 PM
have you got pics up yet???

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 04:29 AM
Sounds great DE, and it's very good form to rave about your own fish, but only if you add photos so we can all go owwwww ahhhhhhhhh.

Well done.

DiscusEden
Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:11 AM
OK, I'll take the subtle hint and try to work the photo thing.

You'd be impressed with the RGD now fish_r - it's coloured up nicely since yesterday!

OK, OK. Will try photos.

Ooh, and the lights are on and they've gotten brave & come out to play! Yay!

Yes, yes, getting the camera.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 07:54 AM
I just love enthusiasm no matter where it comes from or what it's about, congrats DE, the very best of luck with them.
MAC

DiscusEden
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks MAC. I love the support on this forum, you guys are great!

Discus all seem to be settling well, eating well & are starting to follow me around the tank. Yay!

Pics have started now - and may never stop!