PDA

View Full Version : sick altum

dreamer
Sat Sep 25, 2004, 01:17 PM
bought 4 altum last week and they are doing well until today.

symptoms
-2 stop eating or spit the food out.
- these 2 have some kind of red patch on their mouth as if they've hit the glass??
- bit of fin rot
- 1 has rightside pectoral fin clamped

in 3' tank with 5 cories and 8 1" discus
ph ~7.5
temp 29c
ammonia nil
1 larger sponge filter and eheim 2217

did 50% waterchange today and added 4tablespoon of salt

any suggestion? please ..... :( :( :(

Proteus
Sat Sep 25, 2004, 01:31 PM
first of all, if possible seperate the fish, get the Altums on there own...

make treatment easier, and minimises the chance of disease spread.

kevkoi
Sat Sep 25, 2004, 11:35 PM
Where did these altums come from? :?
Altums are touchy touchy touchy things from some sources.

A while ago, we got some "wild" altums from a supplier in Germany.... We imported 50fish, they arrived in bad shape, wouldn't feed and broke out in bacterial problems. Of the 50, we had half of them survive. We were paraniod about buying anymore altums..... until....

Recently on one of the european exporters list was listed some *VERY RARE* tank bred "Orinoco altums". The price of these tank bred specimens was almost double the price of the wilds, but we took a chance and imported these angels...

THEY WERE SUPERB! We got 15 ('cos of paranoia that they would keel over and die again!), all 15 came in great and were feeding on micropellets the next day. Hand feeding bloodworms in the next few days and were so comfortable in their tank... All came out of quarantine in EXCELLENT health. A good mate of mine got 8 of them and they are in his 8x2x2 growing very well. Another friend got 2 to go with 5 other "wilds" he got from another supplier. Merrilyn (Ladyred) has 3 and I hope they are doing well. The others were sold to an aquarium shop up central coast and they are also doing well. I'm tracking the health status of these altums as I am really convinced that the tank bred ones are much much better in health.

The tank bred altums were more expensive to buy, but personally, well worth the money..... From now on, we will only buy these tank bred specimens when available.

:P

dreamer
Sat Sep 25, 2004, 11:43 PM
i bought them from aquapets last sunday while picking up some cories but i just couldnt resist the temptation :oops: they were happily accept pellets, frozen bloodworm and frozen brineshrimp until yesterday ...

i lost 1 this morning ... damn ... the other 3 not looking too good either, the tankmates; cories and discus are fine ...

should i put them in separate tank? a 2 footer is all i have left ...

thanks

kevkoi
Sat Sep 25, 2004, 11:47 PM
I would suggest putting them in a 2ft tank, keeping it relatively dimly lit. drop the pH to about 6.3-6.5 and start treating with a broad spectrum bacterial medication. It's a shot-gun treatment.... it may or may not work. :cry:

BlackGhost
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 01:12 AM
try and get promethisul. It is a great broad spectrum med. I would put them in the 2ft tank. Is the 2ft cycled? If not you can put the promethisul in the main tank and it wont affect the other fish. And keep the blue colour.

dreamer
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 01:24 AM
i will use the sponge filter from the main tank. dont know if it is coincidence.. the fish appear sick the dat after the water change ... i used straight tap water .. :oops: all my discus tank use straight tap water with no harm ...

for now i will just raise the temp and add salt ... if this doesnt help then i will try the broad spectrum ...is this easy to obtain? btw the promethisul sounds like methyl blue?

thanks

Proteus
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 01:41 AM
dreamer... the strongest bit of advice i can give you and ANYONE in Sydney...

DO NOT USE WATER STRAIGHT FROM THE TAP

Make sure it is double if not triple dosed with water ager as well, age it for 24-48 hours with aeration and you will be fine.

The lower our water levels get the worse the quality is getting, they are hitting the water with extra chloromine, chlorine & copper.

I lost an entire tank of excellent quality fish due to toxic/copper poisoning - cause - Sydney water.

I cannot stress this enough, water is now at 39% levels, and mandatory restrictions for home use come into place soon.

dreamer
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 02:11 AM
i would've aged the water given the space, however, space in apartment ..specially in cbd is limited. putting barrel in the living room is out of the question .... i've used straigh tap for over a year ... but i guess .. this luck doesnt apply when it comes to altum :( :(

the hospital tank now resides in my bathroom :shock: with with 20ltrs bucket for aging water ... i hope i can move freely there :roll: :evil:

Proteus
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 02:26 AM
You must remember that nobody ever expected our water to get this low...

so extreme measures need to be implemented. If you have high value fish, both in terms of $$$ and what you personally like, then an ugly water aging bin all of a sudden starts looking really good...

:wink:

flukes
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 05:54 AM
I wouldnt be using a shotgun med, try see how the salt goes first. As Ro said using untreated tap water is a big mistake.

The fish will need to recover, higher temps and salt at 1tblspn per 40 ltrs will help them back on the fins.

dreamer
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 11:34 AM
lost another 1 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i havent added any med yet ... only salt 1tbs/20ltr temp raise from 30c to 32c gradually. they seem to get better .... or am i just hoping :?

i know using straight tap water is not a good idea .... but my other fish seem to cope well ... i actually just did 90% wc for my babies discus to see if they are affected in any way ... but they are just as hungry and healthy as before ...

anyway, i have 20ltr bucket for water aging just for the altum .. hope my other fish wont find out about this special treatment :wink:

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 11:47 AM
Dreamer - so sorry to hear about your problems. I wish I could offer some advice but I have only had these three altums from Kev for about a week and they are in top health, eating like little pigs.

If you are able, I would certainly put them in to a sep tank to treat them. Good luck and please keep us posted

dreamer
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:15 PM
only 1 left now ... not sure if i can keep him alive :oops: :oops: i saw a fine stringy poo hanging out .... perhaps internal bacteria? should i try metro?

this is the first time i killed fish within a week ... damn ... maybe i should stay away from altum .... but such a beautiful fish ....its very hard to resist the temptation :wink:

ladyred - how's ur altum? apparently you have more luck then me :)

weird
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:57 PM
Really sad to hear Dreamer. I hope your last one pulls through.

I saw your altums on Thrusday and they looked spectatular. Not as vibrate and strong as your discus though.

I had previous rotten luck with angels, so I feel your frustration.

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 27, 2004, 03:56 PM
Gee that's rotten luck mate - but don't blame yourself. You didn't kill your fish - you just bought sick fish and they died in your tank. The only difference is that I was lucky enough to get healthy fish while yours were already sick. Hope the last one recovers.

dreamer
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 12:01 AM
all dead ... :cry: :cry:

they 'look' healthy when i bought them ... at least thats what i thought ...until a week later .... darn... no more altum for me ... ..well until next time :)

for now i will be collecting cories :) smaller fish = smaller tank = lotsa fish 8)

Proteus
Tue Sep 28, 2004, 05:19 AM
sorry to hear that...

I know it is no consolation, but maybe you should 'calmly' have a chat with the store you got them from... as it is obvioulsy a supplier issue.. (as in where they got the fish from) if the store in question has any morales they will take note of your feedback...