PDA

View Full Version : Red tail hemiodus tetra

pboersma
Thu Feb 08, 2007, 07:30 AM
Does anyone have any experience with these? My local fish store has a school of them in with their own personal discus tank and they look wonderful. They're large for tetras, and I wanted something bigger and decided to try some out. I bought 6 of them and all but two of them survived the first night. Infact, two of them looked bad before I even opened the bag. My guess is they have a bad supply, but I'm worried my water conditions aren't good for them or something. I can't seem to find any info about them on the net.

pboersma
Fri Feb 16, 2007, 07:48 PM
I wanted to follow up, the red tail homiodus (aka slender homiodus) I got turned out to be from a bad supplier. My pet store said almost their entire stock died, along with their supplier's stock. So, I got a credit back for them and picked up a dwarf green pike for now until they get a new, more reliable, shipment in again. I love the pike I got, I was worried about him being too aggressive but he's been great. Chases my rams around a little during feeding but doesn't peck at them.

nicholas76
Thu Mar 08, 2007, 12:48 PM
post some pics :)

Merrilyn
Fri Mar 09, 2007, 06:19 AM
Sorry you didn't get much feedback on these tetras. There's not a lot of info around about them, and the common name, rather than the latin name also makes a search difficult.

I have found a site with information on them. Not sure that they will make good tankmates for your discus. Says they like the temperature around 24 degrees, way too low to keep discus happy. and that they are very difficult to keep.

Something like a rummy nose tetra might make a better tankmate.

http://www.aquahobby.com/hemiodus.html

Tariq
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 03:16 PM
I have 5 black tetras and 3 red eye tetras, how well do they go with discus? So far no problems!