PDA

View Full Version : rummys have small white dots..but only on dorsal fins

martraci
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 05:11 AM
my rummy school has gone odd...small white dots on dorsals and back ridges...but not on all the fish, just a few
i was feeding them dried tubifex, changed over to tetra bits today for them just incase it was the food (we know tubifex can be nasty)
this is day 2 of me noticing the change in the appearance of the fish, it doesnt seem to be spreading like ich would
any ideas?

regards

iro11a
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 06:55 AM
Sounds like parisites to me do more water changes first before you med the fish often more water changes will get rid of the paristies.

nicholas76
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 07:01 AM
small white dots? kinda like bad dandruff??

If it were covering the entire fish I'd say its a parasitic issue white spot. however as it isnt and I assume your tank temp is too high for white spot to survive then its another bacterial issue of sorts.

are the fish swimming about fine not bothered?

if so id check your water parameters. i suspect that you may have a water quality issue so do your w/c.

id also quarantine your fish and start a treatment with salts.

iro11a
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 07:10 AM
If its on just the fins its a parisites and is not harmful for fish my white swan had it and i just did more water changes and once i got a uv has gone its in the water quality

How much water changes do you do per week mate?
whats ur ph ?

martraci
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:07 AM
the setup is new, my parametres are as follows:

general: 200 litres, 1 canister (cycles completely twice/hour)
tankmates: 5 corys, 1 bristlenose, 1 fighter
ph: steady neautral
ammonia: 0
nitrite - nitrate: none (no ammonia, new setup)
temperature: 30ºC
w/c: 50% weekly

added 5 tbsp salt yesterday, 2 more today and have been adding seachem flourish twice weekly

kind of looks like bad dandruff but the fish seem unchanged, free swimming, eat well, sometimes a little timid (only had them one week)

the water im using is rainwater from a tank, when i pump it in the water flows through a carbon/wool filter i developed

cheers for the help so far, will do a water change asap

iro11a
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:23 AM
If you only had them a week they might have had the parasites when you bought them and it only just come up now im sure they will be fine your doing everything right.

I never used rain water for my aquariums though are you sure even with carbon and stuff that the water is ok.Have you done a test of the water before you add it to the tank to make sure its ok put up the readings of the rainwater?

Cheers jono

martraci
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:44 AM
sorry no readings on the rainwater except it is relatively hard (like our tap water).
my results are limited due to only having a ph and ammonia kit so far