PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Bio-Filter Material

Kingkat
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 05:29 AM
Any ideas for cheap bio-filter material and where to get it?
Cheers,
David.

martraci
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 11:57 AM
try clarke rubber, i remember seeing something there once

DiscusEden
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
I got some wadding (quilting padding, sold by the metre) at Spotlight once - it was a particular type though, and I can't remember which.

I think it was about $13/metre, minimum 30cm. 30cm - well half of that, 'cos my friend took half - had over 2/3 left after 2 years, for an eheim internal power filter. I just cut it out to fit.

Someone had a post here in the last 2 months about donut things that were scrap and the shop was giving them away. The person that posted said they were using it for this purpose.

HTH (but it might not).

Hail2Pitt02
Mon Mar 12, 2007, 06:04 PM
I know a few people that use easter grass in their DIY filters and it seems to work like a charm. The good news is that this time of year its pretty darn plentiful.

scuba123cliff
Wed Apr 04, 2007, 01:41 AM
Hi i have used nylon pot scourers they are about the size of a tennis ball i got them from a $2 shop they worked well and i still use them in my pond filter hope this helps cliff

fishgeek
Wed Apr 04, 2007, 06:57 AM
cheap hair rollers, instead of bioballs

kdusta
Wed Apr 04, 2007, 12:49 PM
those pot scourers i thin k are available from bbq galore aswell now. a freind uses them . all different colors in a big bag he tells me. or bio balls from ebay from the US u can get 3000 landed to your front door for around $80-90 US sell half get your money back out here?just a thought?