PDA

View Full Version : YoYo loaches to control snails

FishLover
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 05:10 PM
Are they good at eating snails? I think I have some snails in the tank now and would like to control them ASAP. I heard loaches are good at doing that.

Are they OK with discus? Do they go after other fish like cories, otos and rams?

Thanks

SandyLynne
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 08:12 PM
I have had a lot of success with clown loaches eliminating snails and are compatible with discus.

fish_r
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 09:54 PM
i really think it depends the type of snail, cause i have these disc looking snails and my loaches wont touch em, both clown and yoyo's....

FishLover
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 12:23 AM
Alright, snails, here come the yo-yo loaches. Got three of them in the tank now. Hope to see lot of empty shells!

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:01 AM
4 yoyos ate over 2000 snails in my first plant tank in 2 wekks, excellent snail eaters, you'll have empty shells floating in no time

gro
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 03:10 AM
there are exceptions to every rule but think seriously about it as i am in the process of trying to catch my PITA yoyo loach. when he was small not a problem - but now he is very fiesty

was able to catch one - when there was two they would dart around the tank at a million miles an hour and create havoc for the others.

Now he's alone he is trying to make mates but this means he goes at the discus from the side which is no good.

also don't recon any breeding is a chance with one, as mine is a real bully.

FishLover
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 02:36 PM
Hmmm...

I had a snail problem and I was looking for something to eat the snails. Not sure what I got myself into...

Have you tried with a tank divider? Cut the swiming room for them in half and move the divider to reduce more room for them to move around. You should be able to get them with small space, also less stress on the discus.

FishLover
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:14 PM
I added 3 yoyos in my tank to get rid of the snails. It was fine up to few days ago. Two of the three yoyos started to nip at my discus on the sides. The discus are very jumppy whenever the yoyos getting closer, which is all the time. I had to take those two out.

I'm watching the 3rd one. He is OK so far.

My advise on this is not to have any yoyos added to the discus tank. You maybe ok with some but you are taking a chance that some of them will bother your discus.

FishLover
Wed Feb 28, 2007, 05:18 PM
This did not work out. The yoyos picked out the eyes of my cories and I have to take them out.