PDA

View Full Version : Water requirements and possible tank mates

liquidice79
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 04:23 AM
Hi all,

A couple of years ago I posted about setting up a discus tank, but never went through with it (got engaged, had to buy a car etc etc). The time has come again that I want to set one up but I have some concerns.

First is my current water param's. I'm unsure whether these will make for a happy discus home.

Ammonia: 0ppm
NirIte: 0ppm
NitrAte: 20ppm (maybe a little lower)
pH: 6.8
Temp: 28.5

The tank is 4ftx18inx18in. It's currently running a Resun Cyclone 135 canister filter, 2 heaters with pool filter sand as the substrate.

The other concern I have are the cichlids that are in the tank now. 1 jewel cichlid, 1 electric blue and 2 convicts. These 4 guys are the only residents. Will any of these fish get along with Discus? While I really don't want to part with the jewel (I've had it for about 2 1/2 years) or the electric blue, I will. I have friends with empty tanks that can take them if need be.

Any advice? Thanks :)

scott bowler
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 05:00 AM
all seems ok try to find out if the Nitrate is lower it needs to be and then the tank is ok as for the other fish none of the fish you have said would realy be sutieable tank mates for discus ,so i would move or sell them . good luck with it all

FishLover
Sun Jan 14, 2007, 06:25 AM
I would up the tank temp a bit too.

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 04:21 AM
Your pH is fine, but the fish you have in there at the moment prefer hard water, and discus prefer soft acidic water. Also the cichlids you mention are mostly agressive fish, and will not be suitable tankmates for shy discus.

Check your KH and GH. If your water is hard, you will have to remove any rock you have in there. They are often the reason for hard water. Your substrate will be fine, and you can add some driftwood to the tank for a more natural look for discus. That will also help to soften the water.

Good luck.

nicholas76
Mon Jan 15, 2007, 05:58 AM
I wouldnt keep any of those fish with discus.

you need to up your w/c too.