PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone ID this worm for me ?

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 07:58 AM
When I just gravel vac'd, found this big worm, reddish with legs like a centerpede (sp?) about 10cm.

What the ????

Anyway the only live worm I have ever fed is black worm... Any idea what it is ?? I also found some smaller ones in the gravel .

Here's a pic
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j41/Kerpa/worm11Jan.jpg

I wonder if this worm is the cause for my C. wendtii to melt down... when I gravel vac'd, it was like an alien ducking for cover in the gravel.... but I got the sucker.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j41/Kerpa/worm211Jan.jpg

zipztar
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:25 AM
i dont know what it is... but it sure looks nasty!

actually... it looks evil

tlambert
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:54 AM
there called briselworms didn't find out any info for you just there name and a pic does this look like them im just trying to find out some info now :wink:

tlambert
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:56 AM
Description:
Bristleworms range in size from small (about 1" long) up to very large at about 20" in length. Most small ones are an orange color, sometime appearing two-tone in color. Larger bristleworms are frequently gray or brownish in color. Bristleworms are composed of many segments and have bristles (setae) which extend from both sides of its body along its entire length, hence their common name. These setae are clearly visible in the picture above. Bristle worms live in the sand or within the live rock. They are nocturnal and not usually seen during the day.

Good or Bad?:
This is a tough one. Historically, bristleworms were all considered to be bad. Most literature warns that they can attack and eat clams, anemones, corals and even fish.

Recently, most hobbyists have come to the conclusion that small bristle worms pose no threat to other tank inhabitants and are in fact good scavengers and add to the biodiversity of the tank. You can even buy bristleworms from some sources.

Even large bristleworms are starting to be better understood. Although it appears that some large bristleworms can be aggressive predators, these seem to be in the minority. Many large bristleworms seem to fall into the harmless scavenger category. The one in the picture above has been in one of my tanks for several years. It is about 1/3" across and at least 12" long although I have only seen about 6" of it. It lives next to a group of clams and has never shown any interest in bothering the other creatures in the tank. He is a very impressive looking specimen in his own right.

Notes:
Look for bristle worms at night with a flashlight to see if they are present in your tank. Feeding the tank in the evening will sometimes cause them to come out and feed.

Capturing large bristleworms, if you desire to do so, can be difficult. They are secretive and primarily nocturnal. Large ones should not be captured by hand due to their sharp pincher teeth and setae which can puncture the skin. One way to capture large ones is to place a rock with a hollow on the bottom side onto the sand in the evening. A piece of shrimp or similar can be placed into the hollow to act as bait. The next day the rock can be removed and the worms will come out with the rock, or they can be captured using a net or tweezers and disposed of. There are also traps available on the market. Biological controls are sometimes mentioned. Several species of Wrasses, Copperbanded Butterflyfish, Banded Coral Shrimp and Arrow Crabs are all suppose to eat bristleworms, but I doubt that they will eat the large ones which are the only ones to possibly be concerned about. My recommendation is to leave them alone unless you have reason to believe they are causing damage. Also be aware that when an animal, such as a clam dies, the bristle worms will frequently feed on the carcass as will any scavenger. Many people misunderstand that the worms are only scavenging and falsely assume that the worms killed the clam or other specimen.

hope all this helps :wink:

tlambert
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 08:59 AM
just a note man they gross me out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks for that "TLambert" great info. The article refers to marine creatures. Mine is a freshwater tropical tank.

I wonder how they got in there ??

Anyhows I might just do deeper gravel vacs. (get the Dyson out, lol!)

I just hope it will not hurt my discus.

Nasty indeed!

tlambert
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 09:06 AM
i did find a couple of reports of them being found in fresh water aquariums by any chance do you have a sand substrate as they come in in sand and sometimes larger driftwood and rocks

Cafe Tropical
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 09:28 AM
no sand, but do have driftwood.... maybe the way it hitch hiked...

tlambert
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
i think is has to be the worm though as they look so much a like so good luck getting rid of them if you choose to :wink: