PDA

View Full Version : What pump in your reef tank?

Escher
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:58 AM
Having asked in a few fish shops and tried two pumps for my sump (Resun king-4 & HQB-5500) I am none the wiser! :?
Problem? Too noisy to enjoy my tank! :evil:
It needs to service my 800L tank: the current king-4 has a max capacity of 4200L, while the HQB has a max. cap. of 6800L (at 0 height). Both are more powerfull than I need and I do use a tap to reduce the flow on the Resun.
So what pump are you using? What would you recommend ? Would a smaller pump be significantly quiter? Would 2 small pumps be better than a large one:? :roll:
Thanks to all replies
Gianluca

sunshinediscus
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 09:19 AM
I'd go for a better quality pump like an iwaki , check out this link for available models http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_iwaki_japanese_american.asp?ast=&key=

Rod

www.lewisdiscus.com

Escher
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 05:01 AM
Geee, with all these replies, I will ned some time to collate them all. :o
In any case I ended up buying a Rio HyperFlow 17HF with the same nominal output. Probably not as strong, but half the size, half watt drain and hardly any noise! :D I just runt with the tap fully open now.

flukes
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 05:44 AM
You didnt get many replies because Rod answered it for you, iwaki make some of the best pumps on the market.

kalebjarrod
Sun Sep 26, 2004, 08:19 AM
pumps make noise its just physic's

the noise can be minimised with quaility and sound buffering

the problem is that they have an impeler, which spins at high velocity, if this does not make a noise the miner vibrations resinating does, it sucks but its a fact

plus the cheaper they are, the quicker the wear, and the quicker they start making humming nosie's

the other problem is we want to have them in our comfort rooms where we relax, like a lounge room or bedroom, these are also the rooms where we relax and become quiet. hence you here the nosie.

my wife hates my tank noise but loves me so she puts up with it

Escher
Thu Sep 30, 2004, 03:43 AM
That is expected. But like in cars you can buy a Daewoo, a Mazda or a Mercedes. They all do perform the same function. One better than the others, depending on wallet size. I was hoping some would indicate to me the Mazda of the pumps :wink: .
I had to find out by myself! :roll:

kalebjarrod
Thu Sep 30, 2004, 08:45 AM
trial and error is a sucky way to find out

and expensive!