PDA

View Full Version : Picked up some free glass!

bun
Tue Jan 09, 2007, 04:00 PM
I went to this tile place today to get some tiles for my old man, and out the back they had some sheets of glass (some with cracks) and the guy said they were going to bin it so I could take it if I wanted. So I did :P only grabbed two pieces, because most of it was broken. They are 6ft long by 41cm high.

The glass is 2 sheets siliconed together, to make it thicker I guess? We have a glass cutter but I think as its 2 sheets stuck together, and quite thick, the little glass cutter won't be adequate. Does anyone know if glaziers will cut glass for you if you already have the glass at a small charge? I'll post some pics of it tomorrow because all that nonsense ^^^ probably makes no sense :lol:

I'm going to attempt to build a tank :P

triumph1921
Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:02 PM
Hey bun

Here in melbourne they do cut glass which you already have for a small charge..................... thought they dont seem too happy about it.

Hope the glaziers in adeliade are the same.............

Wouldnt wanna spend double the money just on getting it cut...... :shock: :shock:

Cheers

bushie
Tue Jan 09, 2007, 10:16 PM
the glass you are talking about is laminated glass.
an ordinary glass cutter will cut it, but you need to score and fracture one side before turning it over and scoring the other side.
once the second side is fractured lay it over a table edge and let it fold down.
then run a stanley knife along the edge to cut the plastic layer between the glass layers.
fairly easy.

P.S. laminated glass is not ideal for fish tanks.
very hard to get them to silicone seal properly.