PDA

View Full Version : Adding fish to a cycled tank

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 02:24 AM
Hi guys,

I've got the 6ft tank cycling with ammonia to build up the bacteria in the filter. I'm confused as to what to do next. I know I should quarantine everything before it goes in, and I'll get a 2 ft tank as a quarantine tank. I read that all of the tankmates should go in before the discus.

My question is this: if the bacteria need ammonia to stay alive, I can't add ammonia once I put any fish in, and I put in the smaller fish first (which produce less waste), how do I get the benefit of cycling the filter first, and prevent another cycle when the discus go in? I'm assuming that if the bacteria aren't being fed by the fish waste of all of the fish I want to get, that the bacteria die off. If this is right, how does the whole thing work?

Or do I trust that xtreme (for example, if I can talk them into it) have quarantined them all sufficiently first, and throw them all in together, then use the quarantine tank for anything that may go in later?

Advice would be much appreciated guys, as I'm not getting my head around this one,
DiscusEden

taksan
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 03:34 AM
If you use supermarket ammonia not pure ammonia it won't cycle and just become poisonious .It takes roughly 2-3 weeks to fishless cycle a tank with pure ammonia.

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the quick response taksan!

Yes, I got that information from Ladyred, and found a chemical company that sold me pure (25%) ammonia - no other chemicals, detergent, etc, and it does not froth when shaken. I'm sure I've got the right stuff. But thanks for the warning.

I was expecting 6- 8 weeks to cycle!

Any suggestions on how to go about adding fish once it's done?

taksan
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:05 AM
Any suggestions on how to go about adding fish once it's done?

Fish tend to be slippery ..... I usualy use a net.
8-)

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:28 AM
Anything helpful?

taksan
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:27 AM
once its fully cycled ..... and your happy with the water ....just put them in a few each day but not too long.

fish_r
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:29 AM
u will have to add fish slowly, dont just buy heaps and put them all in or u will overload ur bio system.
i know it's hard to quarantine, but if u get a disease from one fish then it effects all ur fish, u'll be sorry :(
but saying that i have added fish without quarantine, just the risk u take, but thats up to u ?
i would add a few tetra's and bn's first "after it's cycled"
and just slowly add fish every week or two.
just did a quick google and came up with this HTH

http://www.algone.com/cycle.php
source :

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=how+does+cycling+an+aquarium+work+&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys.

Just so I'm clear taksan, what you're saying is that: when I have the tank cycled so it's converting 5ppm ammonia in 24 hours, as long as I don't take more than a week to add the fish, the bacteria levels won't drop in the filters below what is needed to convert a full bioload for the tank?

So I quarantine them in seperate tanks prior to putting them in? Only problem is, I'm still left with only 2 tanks. I might need to discuss their quarantine procedures with the people I'm buying from and hope for the best maybe?

Nice summary in the link fish_r. Much appreciated.

Thanks again guys!

taksan
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys.

Just so I'm clear taksan, what you're saying is that: when I have the tank cycled so it's converting 5ppm ammonia in 24 hours, as long as I don't take more than a week to add the fish, the bacteria levels won't drop in the filters below what is needed to convert a full bioload for the tank?

Thanks again guys!

Yep get at least 50-60% of your fish load in within a week of stopping ammonia. Don't forget to do 2 x 50% WC's just before adding the fish to drop the nitrates down to less then 5ppm.

DiscusEden
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks taksan, I knew you had all the answers. And I'll go buy a net.
Thanks again!

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 01:12 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yippeeee!!!!!!

I'm finally done I think!

Might have realised this sooner had I listened to the Seachem website about Prime interfering with other brand's test kits. :?

Ammonia alert still not bright safe, but getting there after being dark purple (5ppm) last night, and the pack says it can take a few hours to show the levels as safe as they come down, so I'm not overly concerned as - wait for it, this is the best bit - the nitrite level is 0! Big fat 0! I think it's cycled, yes I do! Give me fishies, fishies, fishies! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Too much?

scott bowler
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 01:23 PM
you go girl get them over there, get them in and get some pics up haha and then you can go back to that happy dance but dont scare the fish haha

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'm afraid the fish may have a very bad and frightening life, you see it's an open plan house & I can't stop the happy dance. I might even take to the exercise bike again, just so I can put it in front of the tank & watch them. This is not a spectacle for public exhibition. They're going to be traumatised fishies, yes they are.

Happy happy happy!!!!!!!

scott bowler
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 01:36 PM
haha your a funny girl i do hope it all goes well for you just keep us updated on how they go and get the pics up by the end of next week yeah haha

fish_r
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 02:50 PM
well done DE, sound like it's a goer :)
how many discus in total did u end up getting ?

DiscusEden
Sat Feb 17, 2007, 11:31 PM
Just 4 this time, and all of the tankmates coming. Still looking for the other 4 I'm after.

fish_r
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 07:39 AM
very nice :)

DiscusEden
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 01:10 PM
OK, this is another one of these me overthinking things questions, but here goes:

The tank is fully cycled.
Wayne suggested I get a test-it-and-see fish, to drop in the tank to make sure it's safe before putting the others in.
I was sorely tempted by a blue ram, or some kribs at the lfs Saturday.
My preciouses might be arriving Tuesday (yay!).
Is it worth the risk of disease to drop a fish or 2 from the lfs in tomorrow morning (Monday), with the idea that if it lives, I fish it out to put it in the spare tank Tuesday, and put the shipment in?

Ideas guys?

scott bowler
Sun Feb 18, 2007, 10:46 PM
thats a good idea i dont know if only a day will tell you any thing though but yeah i would do that and see .