PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp

enigmatic
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:47 AM
OK, this probably isn't the right part of the forum but I don't know where else to put it.

I'm thinking of getting some shrimp to add to my tank for cleaning duties. What shrimp are available in Australia?

I've only seen glass shrimp and these have generally disappeared in my tank - heavily planted/eaten.

I've seen photos of Amano shrimp and Red Crystal shrimp - are these available here?

Aquagreen only list Caridina longistrostris which is the glass shrimp but only ship to NT.

Cheers,

Chris

FishLover
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 07:12 PM
I was thinking abou the same.

Glass/ghost shrimp =Discus lunch.

As for other ones, I have not tried them yet. I just added 2 pairs of Rams and they look really good.

shake
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 09:25 PM
OK, this probably isn't the right part of the forum but I don't know where else to put it.

I'm thinking of getting some shrimp to add to my tank for cleaning duties. What shrimp are available in Australia?

I've only seen glass shrimp and these have generally disappeared in my tank - heavily planted/eaten.

I've seen photos of Amano shrimp and Red Crystal shrimp - are these available here?

Aquagreen only list Caridina longistrostris which is the glass shrimp but only ship to NT.

Cheers,

Chris

Aquagreen should send to you. Dave is very helpful. I bought some from him and I live in Victoria.

I believe Caridina longistrostris is a different species to the commonly sold glass shrimp. Caridina longistrostris will eat algae. I see mine nibbling away all the time.

Amano shrimp and Red Crystal shrimp are not available in Australia unless someone brought them in illegally. Dave from Aquagreen has found some different colour shrimps in NT (blues,red,greens) and is trying to find out if the would be suitable for an aquarium. So hopefully sometime next year we should have a better range of shrimps on the market.

enigmatic
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 09:27 PM
Aquagreen should send to you. Dave is very helpful. I bought some from him and I live in Victoria.

Yes, after I posted this question I went back and had a good look through the site. I'd taken distribution to be where the stuff could be sent to but it is obvious now it is where they are found :oops:

Proteus
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:11 PM
Another thing to consider.

You will have to pay over $50-$80 a piece for Amano or Crystal Red Shrimp, and with a short lifespan, plus the fact that they are more chance of becoming a fish snack due to there brighter colour is it really worth it.

Both species of shrimp are here, and a certain pathetic fool is trying to flog them off at a premium price. Just remember, they were illegally smuggled into the country and having seen first hand how easily they drop dead in our water conditions (they are very sensitve to chloramines, copper, etc etc all the things our water companies love adding to our water) would you really want to waste your money...

enigmatic
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:32 PM
...would you really want to waste your money...

Nope, I don't. I've been browsing the ASA site and have added lots to my wishlist instead. Now, off to make breakfast for the wife and wait on her hand and foot :D

Bribery, who, me 8-)

Proteus
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 11:44 PM
Contact Dave from Aquagreen and see what he can do.

For those that want to persue the CRS and Amano shrimp it should be noted that AQIS started to investigate the source of these species coming into the country last month. If someone is stupid enough to share the information of how they are smuggled into the country, then they should be prepared for the consequences.

Zbiljc
Sun Dec 31, 2006, 12:18 PM
I have Cardina Japonica with discs. It's no problem