PDA

View Full Version : Levamisole !?!?

Fishontherun
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 09:04 PM
Hi guys,
So I've read your threads about using levamisole to de-worm the fish .. got out to Petbarn and get a bottle of Avitrol Plus, with states Active Constituents: 10mg/mL Levamisol Hydrochloride equivalent to 8.48mg/mL Levamisole base 2mg/mL Praziquantel.
I put in about 50mL of this .. for a 400 L tank.
Now I got something like a bacteria boom .. and the fish is surfacing for air ... :roll: they don't look too ill except of that...
Any idea !?? Is that "Hydrochoride" the HCl acid ?!?! and it killed the bacteria (both good and bad ) ???

fishgeek
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 08:25 AM
avitrol is a bird wormer and usually has a syrup base

the sugar or whichever carbohydrate molecule has led to a bacterial bloom

large water changes
turn the temperature down slowly a few degree below what you normally use
and increase aeration with air stones etc

andrew

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 09:26 AM
Welcome to the forum Fishontherun.

If you read through the posts on Levamisole, you will see several warnings about using bird wormers that contain sugar or syrup.

The syrup is added to make it more palatable to cage birds. We try to get the one called Big L Levimasole Pig and Poultry wormer which has no syrup added.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 08:52 PM
Or go to your local vet and get the pure Levamisole powder, you'll need digital scales as you only use 1.14grams per 100 litres of water. I've found it to be very inexpensive, around $50 for half a kilo.
MAC

stonedavid
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 02:38 AM
If the live stock place will allow you to open the bottle and it smells sweet this means it has a sugar or syrup base and not to be used.

Fishontherun
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 05:22 AM
Hi guys
Thanks for the replies.. the booom is over .. everything look normal so I guess no harm done ..phew ...!??! :roll: where could we get Big L Levamisole in Sydney anyone know ?!?? I need a specific address ... and are they in liquid form ?!

catfishbone
Tue Jan 30, 2007, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

does Levamisole will do fine to BNs ???
thanks for the reply ...

Th0mas
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 12:16 AM
Levimisole reported to be fine with BN, providing the dosage is not excessive. I've not dosed BN with it though (no need for such so far).

Just don't get the one with sugar, as the post above warned.

Thomas.

catfishbone
Wed Jan 31, 2007, 01:46 AM
thanks Thomas ..