PDA

View Full Version : Tank height ...

dreamer
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 11:19 AM
Im yet to decide between 4x2x2 and 4x2.5x2 for my new display tank. The cheapest price i found for 4x2x2 with cab/hood is $400 and 4x2.5x2 cab/hood is $700.

I like the extra viewing area and extra volume with 2.5' height but the price is almost double than 2'. Do you think the extra 6" worth the money or should i stay with 4x2x2?

Cheers,

Deds

flukes
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 12:21 PM
Well maybe they added it too the width of the tank, the correct way to write it would be LxWxH (Length x Width x Height). Well this is how the mathematical equation was writen for finding the volume of a square.

Although either one will result in the same volume, it might effect the manufactures price being more width rather than height.

Id check that out just too make sure.

Thats about 150 gals, nice size... :shock:

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 12:40 PM
4x2x2 s still a pretty big tank and 2 foot seems a good height for discus. Unless you have a specific reason for wanting the extra height, I'd save the extra money for more tanks!!!!

dreamer
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 12:40 PM
im sure its 2.5' height as i called to confirm, i wouldnt want pay extra $$$ for extra width :)

now i need to justify the cost for my viewing pleasure ... :oops:

flukes
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 01:05 PM
The more the better...you'll regret it later.. :lol:

Proteus
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 01:16 PM
I would strongly suggest not going above 2ft in height...

You will regret it when it comes to maintenance... 1/2 a foot doesnt seem like much, but wait till you have to get your hands wet (you will need a snorkel)

I would go 2.5 wide, now that is a suweeeeeeeeeeet sized tank... 4ft length, 2.5 wide & 2ft wide....

kalebjarrod
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 09:24 PM
Agreed,

i have a 1m deep tank and i have to drain 140ltrs if i want my hand to get to the bottom

i also have to have a selection of mental sticks including a spoon on a stick, a bent peice of wire on a stick and others

try it dry and see if your going to be able to touch the bottom without worrying about holding your breath!

africandiscus
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 10:18 PM
The more the better...you'll regret it later..

I could not agree more. You always wonder what it would be like with the extra height

Proteus
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 11:37 PM
psx, width is better, since regular maintenance is required with Discus, how are you meant to accopmplish this if you cant even get close to the bottom of the tank...

One of my fav tanks (its only a 4ftr :wink: ) is a 4ft x 3ft x 2ft... yup, 3ft wide (not my tank but it looks huge from the front)...

You may regret not getting the biggest you can, but you will probably regret the height once you start having to do poop vacs...

kevkoi
Sat Sep 18, 2004, 01:11 AM
Width is always much better than height in any tank.

Higher the tank, the ticker the glass, the more expensive it gets.... Would save the money, buy a wider tank and STILL have money leftover to buy some HOT discus. :wink:

Brad
Sat Sep 18, 2004, 01:27 AM
Why not go both width and height.

4x30"x30" would be a nice size discus tank.

Height is what makes the tank look big too.

My friends 8x4x3 is a sight to be seen and the height is just amazing.

kevkoi
Sat Sep 18, 2004, 02:24 AM
Another draw back of height if you want to do plant tanks is the cost of lighting... U will need more light and possibly metal halides to get down to the 3foot depth for plants at the bottom to prosper.

kalebjarrod
Sat Sep 18, 2004, 02:27 AM
yeah tell me about it! 1m deep ain't no lighting picnic.

dreamer
Sat Sep 18, 2004, 04:03 AM
i think i will stay with 2' height then and save the money for the altum or perhaps wild discus, yeah kev 8)

africandiscus
Sat Sep 18, 2004, 10:01 PM
The cheapest price i found for 4x2x2 with cab/hood is $400

Where did you find that? Please will you PM me the details

Trebs
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 06:54 AM
The weight would also be a factor. More width will spread the weight. A 2ft tall tank is about the max you can go with fluro lighting, any taller and it's time to start looking for more expensive options.

What thickness is the glass for the 2.5ft deep tank?

Proteus
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 07:37 AM
12-15mm minimum

i.e. VERY Heavy