PDA

View Full Version : breeding aggies

Nathan
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 12:31 AM
hey im just curious an its probly a dumb question but r u able to breed a double red with a triple red or is it like trying to breed cats with dogs?

anyway just wonderin!

Noddy65
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 12:37 AM
Yeh Nathan...no probs crossing them as they are really just colour varieties...there is even a huge amount of variation in the degree of colour between double reds etc..its a bit like crossing dog with dogs...all the same species really just different varieties...

If possible though it would be better to cross double reds with double reds etc....

Have you got some?

Mike

Robdog
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 01:25 AM
I think with aggies the only no-no is to cross things like standard double reds with Tefe's. Although they are basically the same species there are slight differences and I've heard of regular infertile spawns and offspring.
There is also the question of why you would spoil a Tefe with a double red? (not that double reds aren't beautiful fish)

wickedglass
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 01:36 AM
the thing with tefes is that they may actually be a different species as opposed to just a morph. apparently is you cross a tefe with an aggie the scales of the offspring are defective and this is why there is a big discussion on the species issue atm. i'm not certain either if an aggie x tefe will produce offspring.
that said, if you're trying to establish a new strain, then interbreeding different forms is seen as ok by most people, as long as you're not outcrossing with different species.
personally I like keeping wild species as normal as I can and won't cross them.

Nathan
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 03:31 AM
i was just curious, i already have a male double red aggie an i got a female today an also a male cac double red.

hopefully in the new year i can get a more 'exotic' species, but for the time being iom happy with these guys.

Th0mas
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 08:59 AM
Some people says tefe is different to aggie in terms of classification of species. Mike Wise or some one done experiment with crossing tefe with ordinary aggie yield non-fertile sibbling.

Thomas.