PDA

View Full Version : Bloated SAE

ellwa
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:43 AM
Hrmm...

I had a bit of a CO2 spike over the weekend, [discus went dark, pointing to God, etc] but managed to sort it out, got the water levelled out, the O2 content back to normal, and all fish are fine, except my SAE.

he has been looking bloated ever since, his head is fine, and his tail section is fine, but he is really bloated around the middle, and wont eat.

I put him into the 2ft tank outside that I've been cycling, and he hasn't changed, and still wont eat.

I've added Big L Poulty wormer, at 1ml/7L, in the hope that it might be worms, but I don't think it is.

I have no idea what to do.

his scales are sticking out, and he doesn't look too happy.

maybe i'm just waiting for him to lose his battle, but hopefully someone can give me some advice as to what I might be dealing with.?

cheers

elliot

Merrilyn
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 03:40 AM
Sorry to say, that's true bloat, and it's incurable in my opinion. What you're seeing is the results of the breakdown of the kidneys and internal organs. That means the fish has lost the ability to regulate the amount of fluid in the body, and is pretty near the end.

The kindest thing to do now is to put the fish out of his misery, because indeed it must be painful.

Some cases of bloat can be cured or at least treated, if they are caught early enough, with antibiotics, but it seems that the fish will regularly come down withy bloat again in another couple of weeks, even after a supposed 'cure'.

Once the scales start to "pinecone" as in your fish, it's unfortunately too late to do anything.

Sorry.

ellwa
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 03:48 AM
Tankyou LR.

What is the cause, do you know?

would it be related to the CO2 issues from last weekend?

thankyou.

elliot.