PDA

View Full Version : copper treatment

g.c.discus
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 11:08 AM
has anyone experienced any trouble using copper based snail killer with bristlenose young. mine are not acting the same since medication went in. used med at half dosage to hopefully not have any issue's but they are all gathered around top of tank since med dosed.

Merrilyn
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 07:15 AM
Anything strong enough to kill snails, has got to be strong enough to kill fish, especially baby scaleless fish, even at half dose rates.

Do several big water changes immediately.

Your fry are suffering from copper poisoning. The water changes may help, but it may also be too late. :(

samir
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 07:40 AM
copper makes it harder for fish to breathe, you could lower the temperature a couple of degrees and add an airstone to the tank it may help,I hope they recover. :( of course the big water changes are the most important.

g.c.discus
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:45 AM
been changing the water daily. everyone seems happier. except me. bottle had no warning about skinless fish. you live and learn. is copper a long term problem ie fish wont drop off for week ar two? used the snail rid after reading a post on it.will do better research next time. i hate all the snails thou. have yoyo loach he has kept number steady.

Bad Inferno
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:55 AM
I too am sick of snails however after reading on one box that the treatment can be harmful if the TDS (conductivity) is low of the water it was not recommended. With Melbourne water very low, it was right on the border..From memory I think it stated ~50 ppm TDS the product should not be used.

g.c.discus
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 12:09 PM
treatment did not kill all the snails even. still have the long cylindrical snails. is there anything safe to remoe snails?

sammigold
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:02 PM
a couple of ways:

1. Gravel vac. up the tiny ones every night when they come out... this will over time bring the population down and then your yoyo loach should be able to control them.

2. at night put in a small plastic bottle with a bit of cucumber or zucchini inside it will attract the snails..(but I am afraid this method may also attract your b/n babies and so you would have to try and get them out before throwing out the snails)

3. clown loaches..also make short work of snails but can grow very big so you need a large tank for them.

Hope those ideas help a little...