PDA

View Full Version : water change 'how to'

Lungfish
Sat Dec 16, 2006, 07:05 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed before, if it has, a link would be much appreciated. I'm getting ready to put in some discus once my tank has cycled but I want to be confident about my water changes and I'm not really sure how to do them.
My questions are:

How long do you age the water for?
What water conditioners do u add? (Chloramine remover etc)
How do u get the desired ph? eg: my tap water is 7.4 and my tank water has got to 6.8 over the course of a week by using peat. Do I have to do the same for replacement water or is using hydrochloric acid (which my LFS recomended) ok.

If someone could step me through the system they use, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

luvmydiscus
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 02:16 AM
I let my water sit overnight to expell any chlorine etc. I try not to use any chemicals unless I absolutley have to.

My personal opinion about ph is leave it alone. Unless you are breeding adjusting the ph can be one tricky thing as I found out the hard way. Keeping that ph consitent when you lower it can be hard and I lost many angel fish by doing this.

When I left the ph alone I had more angels than I new what to do with. I have hard water and high ph and I do not do anything to it for my disucs.

If the discus come to you from very soft water you will have to slowly acclimatize them to the higher ph.

:D

Lungfish
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 04:07 AM
Thanks, I just found this thread: http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7668&start=0&sid=43208ae2942dd72a4d3c5ab37e3a8620 which is answering a lot of my questions