PDA

View Full Version : Stunted Growth

Proteus
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 10:49 PM
Question... after salvaging a couple of stunted Blue Diamonds several weeks ago from someone who did not want to keep Discus anymore, is there any way, apart from frequent water changes, and a bigger tank to maybe get them growing again???

or as I suspect, is it too late???

The colouration has improved since I have had them, and they are more interactive within the tank (used to hide, 24/7)... there eyes are quite large compared to body size, which tells me they are way smaller than they should be...

any suggestions appreciated...

kevkoi
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 11:18 PM
Dong the other guy on the head for mistreating their discus? :twisted:

Proteus
Sat Feb 28, 2004, 11:24 PM
already done... :wink:

flukes
Sun Feb 29, 2004, 12:29 AM
hwat size tank did he have them in and how many did he have in there?

Annie
Sun Feb 29, 2004, 07:17 AM
I also would like to know if their is something you can do if the discus growth has been stunted...I resucued my 5th blue also, and I think the baby's growth maybe stunted . He is still pretty tiny compared to the others...He is from the same batch that I got my other 4 from...(2 1/2 months inbetween) when I went back the lady at the shop only had him and the tank looked horrible, I think he had been in the same water since I bought my first 4. The baby was very dark in color and hiding. :cry: I had to have that baby...And that is what I have called him/her :?: since I have brought the baby home.
Once I took the baby home, It took me a month in a QT to get him to start eating and moving around. Now the baby is in the 55 (obviously) and eats out of my hands like all the others...Piggy's that they are. :D :D ...but he is still really small compared to them...and his eye does seem large for body size.

Mattzilla
Sun Feb 29, 2004, 11:36 PM
in most cases the damage is allready done and a stunted discus won't grow to it's full size or shape

in some cases the shape will imrove a little but a sunted fish is a stunted fish for life.

matt

Annie
Mon Mar 01, 2004, 04:10 AM
So is my baby "always going to be a BABY?" :?

Mattzilla
Mon Mar 01, 2004, 05:48 AM
well if it's only stunted in growth and still healthy then it will grow large but will not improve in shape much if at all.

though good news, i have been told that stunted or runted discus can still breed nice shaped discus. ie. stunted discus do not breed stunted babies

matt

Annie
Mon Mar 01, 2004, 07:42 AM
That is great to hear. I suppose since I helped save this fishie, shape or no shape, he is a happy and healthy bugger. And ohh, what a lil' piggy he is. (I am assuming thta it is a he??)