PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 2227 professionel Wet/ Dry Canister filter

africandiscus
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 03:29 AM
Looking to buy the above canister for my tank. Any thoughts?

http://www.eheim.com/Zubehoer.cgi?Mode=zeige&welches=2227&Filter=Gesamtliste

Proteus
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 03:51 AM
Expensive!!!

but very good

Mattzilla
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 05:58 AM
my gosh i have never seen a filter like that before!!!!!!!!
it's huuuuuge...lol

lesley
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 07:19 AM
I took the plunge with one of these about two months ago. I am only using the ceramic (white clayey stuff) type filter material provided, it didn't come with the filter pads mentioned in your link.

It does a great job of cleaning - I am using it in a 683 litre planted tank with 17 discus. They get fed lots (gosh, the poor mites are always starving) I have an air powered sponge filter at the other end of the tank.

I have the flow along the front of the tank so that there are quiet areas in the plants which are concentrated at the back of the tank. The discus tend to "sleep" in the plants at night and spend the day at the front.

I am finding that it does require more maintenance than I expected. The plastic intake tube needs regular cleaning (can be quite a chore although I've got it down pat now - the first couple of times were a nightmare!). You must follow the height recommendations or else it won't work - it intakes water mainly by syphon not pump. To get the wet/dry effect the syphon must be working well.

HTH, Lesley

africandiscus
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the response. Is it noisy?

africandiscus
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 08:55 AM
By the way I heard the Dupla bio balls are the most effective with that canister

weird
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 10:02 AM
lesley , huge tank ! Got any pics mate ?

flukes
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 03:53 PM
Thats a farily shocking lph output for a cannister that size, although it is a wet/dry contained in there so bio logical filtration will be at its greatest. It just seems a bit low for something that big and expensive.

africandiscus
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 10:32 PM
I am not sure what pricing you are seeing for this canister. With my calculations it is a about the same as a trickle filter. Here are some of the numbers I have been quoted for a trickle filter.

Filter Box including rotating arm $300
Pump (good one) $130-$150
Bio Media $50
Weir for tank and bulkhead $50

Not sure if I have left anyting out. You are already over $500.

Where could you get the above cheaper?

africandiscus
Thu Sep 16, 2004, 01:34 AM
Thats a farily shocking lph output for a cannister that size, although it is a wet/dry contained in there so bio logical filtration will be at its greatest. It just seems a bit low for something that big and expensive.

I dont think you can compare it to a regular trickle filter. It is different technology, remembering this is a sealed unit. The reason I say this is because the larger unit 2229 has the same lph but is for a 600l tank.

I am not trying to defend this product. The reviews are amazing and most people are using it with a marine setup, where filtration needs to be better than fresh water.

flukes
Thu Sep 16, 2004, 01:49 AM
The reviews are amazing and most people are using it with a marine setup, where filtration needs to be better than fresh water.

Please show me one person who would pay for that cannister, rather than using a sump and LR. If they did money would not be a problem for them.
A sump with LR, will cost half the amount and do twice a better job.

Your right they have had great reviews and iam not bagging the product.

Wouldnt mind one myself, it was more a question as too why it had such a low flow rate. And as you said the next model has the same flow rate and does up too 650ltrs. So what iam asking is why, is it just bigger in mass?

---------------------

As for the cost of a trickle filter, that is if you buy every thing new, you got too a LFS that says $250 for a little sump, why cant you buy a 2-3ft tank and add perspex where needed. Wouldnt cost you more than $100.

Stand pipes can be made with ease, and getting a hole drilled will cost you no more than $20, bio media would be about $50, and a pump say $80. And some plumbing and other bits say $40.

Putting a Wet/Dry trickle filter together for $290 priceless.. well there is a price but its $290 instead of $500.

And that trickle filter could do more like 900ltrs depending on pump size..

Iam sure you could make a smaller one for $200.

---------------------

africandiscus
Thu Sep 16, 2004, 05:26 AM
What pump do you recommend?

flukes
Thu Sep 16, 2004, 01:48 PM
You mean for the sump of a wet/dry?

If i had the money id be using a ehiem/rena (Rena is sometimes hard to find in oz).

Check out AOA (Age of aquariums),

AOA - pumps (http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category2_1.htm)

My mate got a Pro Aqua HJF-6000, from them for $85 (Special price for september) and he loves it reakons it is one of the most efficiant and quiet pumps he has ever used.

I dont think you would need something that big as its 8000lph with 5.5m head height, so you scould probably get a cheaper and slower model. There is quiet a few different Pro Aqua's.

You can have troubles with buying 'cheaper' pumps, as impellars break or motors sieze but i have been using a Pro Aqua in my storage barrel for about a year now with no worries. Cant really compare though because its only on for about 10-30mins a day, but a friend has nothing but good things too say about them.

As for the bio tower, it doesnt have too be anything fancy. Because my tanks are indoors (In my bedroom mainly), i want the filters too look good. But if you can cover it up or dont mind, then a garbage can or something similar will do a great job.

Also you dont have too put a rotating arm at the top, although it helps you can get just as good of an even spread over the media if you install the drip plate correctly.

Plan it out you would be suprised how cheaply and easily you can put together a filter, that is one of the best around.

Also for information and ideas look at marine setups, although they dont use bio media, most use the sump/overflow method.

Just another thought the sump doesnt have too be glass, i know you can go too bunnings and get some tank size tubs for around $20-$30.

If you would like it too look good then i would get a glass tank for the sump, and for the bio tower you can ask a lfs too see how much they cost.
Any thing around $120-$130 would be a good price.

I will be making these out of perspex soon, ive worked out how too do everything just trying too find the cheapest supplier of acrylic and the solvents. If your not in a rush too get it done i could probably whip one up for around $80-$100 depending on size. Dont quote me on the price because i havent made a complete on yet so i dont know exactly.

but that will be a while away, i wouldnt sell anything until iam totally confident in the product. If you need some thing soon, a garbage bin is fine or something similar. Helps if it has a rim about an inch down from the top so you can sit the drip plate on.

Anyway enough blabbering if your intrested in making one, start up a new tread and we will help you step by step, you could also take pictures, it would make a great post for people that are intrested.

africandiscus
Thu Sep 16, 2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks I appreciate it. I heard the swivel arms are inefficient because it does not cover all the bio balls. All four corners are dry. Is this true? How do you get the arm to wet the corners?

flukes
Fri Sep 17, 2004, 01:01 AM
Its hard to get the corners wet aswell, you would either need a 1-2cm build up of water over the drip plate, or maybe use a rotating arm with a drip plate.

Doesnt really matter though because if you put the media 2inches under the drip plate it should still get wet.

Really just a matter of trial and error.

discusdude
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:17 PM
For my 6*2*2 i have a sump setup. Its a 3ft tank, cost me $50. The pump, which does 4000 lph, was around $120. The medium was $10 (scoria from landscape supply place) and $5 worth of filter wool. Instead of using chambers i put an undergravel plate into the 3ft tank, and becuse the pump was in-line, simply attatched it. I now have a 6ft tank, going at around 4000 lph with 80 or so litres of filter medium.

total price: $205 (including undergravel filter plate) :twisted: :D :P