PDA

View Full Version : New Tank

Tryhard
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 02:00 AM
The minister of war and finance has approved the purchase of a new tank (5x2x2) :D and as you can imagine my thoughts are going into overdrive in the planning department - just thought I would run my fitration plans past everyone for their thoughts.

1 x fluval 304
1 x lifeguard fbf
1 x aquaclear 500
3 x double sponge
1 x single sponge

africandiscus
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 03:19 AM
Why not just get a mini reef (trickle filter), wont clutter the tank?

Escher
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 03:20 AM
I understand that the sponge filter has only a polishing effect. As such, and given you have all the other filters, four spouges seem too many to me. I have only one in a 7x2x2. As far as I'm concerned, the less clutter in the tank, the better it is. More room to enjoy your fish! :)

Tryhard
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the replies - the only reason I am not getting the wet/dry (mini reef) is finances - I already own the fluval and the lifeguard and the others are minimal cost compared to a mini reef. As for the sponges I thought they had more of an biological effect than that so I may have to rethink that one although it is a double whammy as far as aerating the tank goes, keep the replies coming the more input the better !!!!!!!!!!.

Mattzilla
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 05:56 AM
sponges are for increased bio filtration

maybe just try to get 2 really big sponges as apposed to svereal smaller ones

africandiscus
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 08:38 AM
Sera have a big sponge filter.

http://www2.sera.de/protected/products/product.php?id=199&language=en

Tryhard
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 10:39 AM
Thank you all for the input - now have possesion of a lovely 5x2x2 (after a fair bit of hassle and screwed up orders) just got to put a couple of doors on the stand and stain it and wha - hey let the fun begin

africandiscus
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 11:11 AM
Love to see pictures

Tryhard
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 09:57 PM
so will I as soon as it is set up (drools in anticipation)