PDA

View Full Version : New discus tank

fiftycal
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 02:55 PM
I should be buying a 6ft tank in the next few weeks and want to do some homework before setting it up.

The tank is 180cmx50cm, how many kg of gravel do I need? Should I get black gravel?

I am thinking of putting discus and other fish in there. Can I put corys and bristlenose cats and Siamese Algae Eaters(SAE)?

I was considering the following:
50 rummynose
10 discus
10 corys
2 peppermint bristlenoses
2 SAE

Is that overstocked? If understocked, how much more can I put in it?

Since im a bit of a tight arse, is it advisable to head on over to a nursery and buy some cheap gravel? If this is the case, would it be better to ditch the corys entirely and have no bottom feeders, or possibly get 4 clown loaches?

Any other recommendations? It should be an Aqua One AR180. Is the overhead filtration enough?

fiftycal
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 02:59 PM
After reading more on this site:

What about using sand instead of gravel? I have read that its not as good for your plants, since there is not enough aeration as it compacts too much. What sized sand should I use if its better to use sand?

sammigold
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 12:13 PM
Hi, the general rule for discus is 1 adult discus per 40 litres...

in regards to gravel or sand It is a personal choice although you may want to be careful getting black gravel as I have read that these gravels can sometimes raise your PH? levels. and discus tend to prefer neutral to slightly acidic water rather than alkaline.

A nice lighter type smooth gravel could work and you probably dont need it too deep unless you are planning on having a fully well planted tank. you could could always go the way of lots of driftwood with anubias on it and have areas where the gravel is a very lights sprinkle to deeper areas of gravel where your bottom feeders can forage if they so desire.

Just an idea...HTH
good luck with your new tank

sammigold
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 12:14 PM
Hi, the general rule for discus is 1 adult discus per 40 litres...

in regards to gravel or sand It is a personal choice although you may want to be careful getting black gravel as I have read that these gravels can sometimes raise your PH? levels. and discus tend to prefer neutral to slightly acidic water rather than alkaline.

A nice lighter type smooth gravel could work and you probably dont need it too deep unless you are planning on having a fully well planted tank. you could could always go the way of lots of driftwood with anubias on it and have areas where the gravel is a very lights sprinkle to deeper areas of gravel where your bottom feeders can forage if they so desire.

Just an idea...HTH
good luck with your new tank

fiftycal
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 01:01 PM
How many kg of gravel/sand would be sufficient for the tank? Im thinking of maybe 1 to 2 inches of gravel. Im thinking about planting it with amazon swords, pygmy chain swords, etc.

sammigold
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry I cant help with that... not sure, maybe someone else will know... good luck

Dee
Fri Dec 15, 2006, 01:14 AM
What sized sand should I use if its better to use sand?

G'day,

I would go the 16/30 white gravel/sand ... looks great (like sand) and doesnt compact down ... like sand.

Best of luck with the new rig.

Cheers,

Dee :D

fiftycal
Fri Dec 15, 2006, 04:20 AM
Thanks!

I found a tool to calculate how much substrate to use.

http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

Im thinking about not having any bottom feeders, as I think the discus and rummynose will prob eat all the food before it reaches the bottom, and even if it does reach the bottom, they will prob still eat it off there, since theres no gaps for the food to disappear unlike gravel