PDA

View Full Version : 18mnths and still running..... do I need a strip down ?

Bad Inferno
Tue Sep 14, 2004, 12:20 PM
My heavily planted 200l tank has been running for 18 months +...looks great water crystal clear 4 x discus and others seem very happy...so my question is should you mess with something that ain't broke ?

I run a canister and a eheim REVERSE flow undergravel system. I do not think ehiem make these anymore however the canister outlet goes both to a spray bar & gets pushed under the gravel. I was sold the benefits of reverse flow undergravel in that it gives plants warm water circulating through their root system and keeps the gravel "alive". Don't know why they do not sell these anymore as my plant growth is great.

I have the ability now, with a spare tank, to take the discus out of the main tank while I do a complete strip down. I am NOT looking to make more work for myself so wanted to know what frequency you should do such a radical clean if at all. I would understand with a normal undergravel filter however mine works in reverse....thus the waste is not being sucked through the gravel.

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 14, 2004, 03:59 PM
Do you do regular water changes; syphon the gravel thoroughly; occasionally back-flush the filter by putting the syphon hose down the riser of the undergravel filter? Then it sounds like your tank is already in perfect balance, and I wouldnt do a complete teardown unless you want to 're decorate' the layout of the tank.. If it aint broke................

Bad Inferno
Wed Sep 15, 2004, 12:20 PM
yeh I do 30% every 3 -4 days.....great idea about syphoning out of the riser tube. I will give it a try however as I pump water down the riser tube in my reverse flow system I suspect it should be perfectly clean. I will give it a try.

thanks