PDA

View Full Version : water quality

Lungfish
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:57 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I hope to be posting here quite a bit from now on. I've never kept discus before and I'm busy setting up a new tank. I've just got a couple questions regarding my water hardness and ph and how suitable it is for discus. I bought the tetratest 5 in 1 test strip which measures no3, no2, gh, kh and ph. My measurements are as follows:

gh: 5
kh: 2
ph: 6.8

The slightly weird thing is that I've also got bromythyl blue ph tester and I'm getting a reading of 7.2 from that, which one should I believe? Does anyone know how accurate these test strips for hardness are? Any comments about how good my water is appreciated.

Cheers

Merrilyn
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 05:34 AM
Welcome to the forum Lungfish. From those readings, your water will be perfect for discus, just the way it is. No need to alter alter anything, except treat it to remove chlorine.

The test strips are not as accurate as the bromythyl blue, but as they both indicate a reading of around 7, then it's fine.

If you want to start breeding your discus, you may need a more accurate test kit, but just to keep your fish happy and healthy, anything between 6.8 and 7.2 will be fine.

Lungfish
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 05:43 AM
great news Ladyred :) Thanks for the info