PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish and Discus

Hearthemchainsdiscus
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:56 AM
Hey All,

I know this migh be a silly question, but can crayfish and discus live in the same tank together?

Merrilyn
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 03:25 AM
I gather you're talking about the fresh water crayfish. Hmmm I really think the temperature required for discus may be too high for them.

The other worry is, would the discus become crayfish lunch :?

FishLover
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:58 PM
Yep, I had one crayfish in the past and it killed one of my fish (about 3" long), not the discus. I had to return it the next day.

bun
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't try your luck :P

jagar
Thu Jan 25, 2007, 03:34 PM
ah i believe 'crayfish' is actually a tasmanian term for salt water lobster.
i may be mistaken but i think your talking about yabbies?

scott bowler
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:04 AM
if you put a yabbie in with discus then after a week in water at 32degrees you can take it out and peel it for lunch it will cook yummy lunch though

RJ_Archer
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 03:01 AM
a mate of mine had a blue claw cray in with his discus it was fine until the cray got to big

Hearthemchainsdiscus
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks All for the input, I'll hold off on putting crayfish in my discus tank. Here in the states they're called crawdads, crawdadies, mudbugs, crawfish, and I'm sure they go by other names too. I had no idea you guys in the southern hemisphere call em yabbies. No matter what ya call em they are definetly good eating :) :!:

spyderpig
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 07:54 AM
That's right! I could eat 10 pounds easily by myself!!! I usually by 30 pounds or more and alive ones.
I then tried to put in my colisa lalia tank with some neons thinking those slow guys would clean up the sand. they actually did a good job!!!! once they are done, they got some of the neons with their speed! wow.
I would not try with my cardinals and discus. If I were you I would not try at all because they also eat plants! :lol: