PDA

View Full Version : What do you feed your catfish?

enigmatic
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 09:18 AM
Hi,

I've got a Bristlenose catfish in one tank and 3 Peppermint in another.

Both tanks have a good amount of driftwood and the tank the Bristlenose is in has a bit of algae at the moment.

I tend to feed Sera catfish chips but from what I've seen, it is pretty much every other fish that goes for these before the catfish (if they go for them at all).

I'm just wondering what the folks here feed their catfish? How do you feed, what can I do to get a specific food to the catfish over other fish? If I feed zucchini, how do I stop it floating and how long do you leave it in the tank for?

Cheers,

Chris

Proteus
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 09:26 AM
I use a mixture of Sera catfish chips, Omega One Veggie Rounds (IMO best veggie wafer & they dont cloud the water like the Hikari wafers) & Omega One shrimp pellets.

Aside from the commercial foods, I go through a couple Zuchini each week, and from time to time throw in a wedge of pumpkin or a Bok Choy leaf.

weird
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:12 AM
I feed mine cucumber, and wedge it under the driftwood.

I water change daily, and thats when I feed the cucumber, they actually queue up around the 'cucumber spots' after every water change.

One of the funniest things I came home to one night, was a floating piece, and the BNs were doing round tank dives trying to latch on to it.

enigmatic
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 10:13 AM
I forgot to mention I add Omega One shrimp pellets to the tank I have my Bristlenose in.

Some of the scissor tail rasbora and the rainbow fish in the tank will take the whole thing in their mouth in one go and then eat it from there so the catfish hardly gets a look in :?

sammigold
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 08:41 AM
Mine get shrimp pellets, some unamed pellets that I got from Oakleigh Aquarium for bottom feeders, zucchini (have got this great thing that Ben gave me which is like a giant peg with a suction cup that I peg the zucchini with) also frozen peas (defrosted in some hot water) the bristlenose and plecs seem to love peas... lettuce is another good one ... and algae wafers plus whatever leftovers they find from my other fishes food ie. live blackworm, frozen discus dinner, frozen brine shrimp.

Ben
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 09:33 AM
Lebanonese cucumber works well.

ASA sell little vege clips for under 4 bucks each.
I find they are ok.

garyowen
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 06:49 PM
I used to have two bristlenose, one died whilst i was out at work, I came home to see its long term friend munching on it! Genuinely shocked, like a really wet horror film!

Failing that mine like the missed bloodworm that escapes others grasp!

triumph1921
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:57 PM
Hi there

i feed mine Zuccini and lettuce leaves .........................

i have found a quick zap in the microwave before putting the zuccini in will make it sink ................. if it still dosent i just push a fork into it ................I leave it in ovrnight and pull it out in the morning

oh and they love boiled peas as well........... :roll: :shock:

HTH