PDA

View Full Version : Alot of water changes would help the discus gow alot faster?

jacksta
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:20 AM
Hi folks,

I currently have quiet abit of Marlboro red Discus fry i just want to know if i do alot of water changes for example 50% a day once a day woudl help them boost their growth alot faster as to compared to 50% a week.I wouldn't mind doing water changes but if it's not really helping the fry that much,then i ratehr save some water.

cheers,jack

mistakes r crucial
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 03:50 AM
The more the merrier.
MAC

Merrilyn
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 04:01 AM
Daily water changes are terribly important if you want your babies to grow.

I do 50% twice a day on fry tanks, and I know a lot of breeders to the same thing.

If you only change water once a week, you will find that the nitrates will stunt the growth of your fry, and you will end up with small fish with large eyes.

Any ammonia in the water spells instant death to fry. Another reason for doing daily water changes.

HTH

jacksta
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 04:54 AM
I am doing 30-40% water change ocne a day after they get fed with frozen food now,is that nto enough?

P.S how big are your fry tanks Ladayred?

cheers,jack

discus lover01
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 05:30 AM
hi jack you discus are not classed as fry they are 4cm juvies and as i said to you in msn chat we had yes it helps them to grow faster and keeping optimum water quality is essential to discus fry and juviniles.

Merrilyn
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 05:54 AM
Follow the advice of discus lover01. He's given you the right information.

Daily water changes are the best way to go for 4cm juveniles.

My fry start out in 80 litre tanks, from there they move to a 120 litre tank and finally to a 300 litre tank to grow out before sale.

The 80 and 120 litre tanks get water changes twice a day. The 300 litre once a day, but that will depend on how many juveniles I have in there. It's often an 80% water change in the larger tank.