PDA

View Full Version : red/gold/orange or what ever you want to call it

DiscusMad
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:27 PM
Has anybody seen these in australia yet???
http://www.mellowaquatics.com/INDEXPIC.JPG

DiscusMad
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 12:24 PM
I take it that none of the 44 people that has looked at this post has seen them here yet???

Merrilyn
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 12:40 PM
No, but I'd sure be pleased to see them here :P

DiscusMad
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 01:00 PM
I've seen some very nice looking angels on diffrent american sites with all sorts of markings on them that I have never seen over here at all and was amazed and drooling over!

mtchye
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 10:57 PM
I've asked around about this before and the Asian breeders have little interest in expensive exotic angels. The ones you see are typically the result of some fantastic breeding by American breeders, and they also share and buy/sell between themselves.

However it is too expensive (is it even possible) to ship these fish from American to here. I don't even know if there is a licenced quarantine facility there. The fish would have to go via Asia somewhere in all probability. I am not sure if any of the Europeans have this sort of angel, but it might be slightly easier to get if that was the case, considering that people have already imported fish from Germany.

I'm sure it could be done for those who are pretty determined, but it would probably cost $100's per fish. They come up on aquabid occasionally apparently, and the angelfish II forumites have some regulars breeding them too I think.

Good luck, this would be an amazing breeding project if one could acquire such fish!

DiscusMad
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:42 PM
well thats a shame I guess

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:35 AM
that is a shame....great looking angel!

fishhead
Sun Feb 04, 2007, 08:21 AM
This fish is just a red koi. you can tell from the black on the dorsal fin ,the blushing gill and the white belly and I`ve had about 20 of them exactly the same to varying.All from koi stock.This quality koi only appears every 1 in 5000.I breed my own ,but yes they are in australia.

DiscusMad
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 01:15 PM
I have gained an email from they guy who fish that is and here is his reply to me if anybody is intrested

Hi,

I started linebreeding for color in 1985. The first solid orange koi
appeared around 2000 (they still contain black, but no white). I won't
consider the project complete until most of a spawn turns completely
orange. This could take another 10 or 15 years.

Steve Rybicki
Angels Plus

fishhead
Tue Feb 06, 2007, 11:58 PM
HI discusmad, If you have email contact with this guy, if you get the chance could you ask him if his angels that are line bred still retain the red colouring or does he have to outbreed with marbled to maintain the red. I always lost the red colouring in line breeding. If his don't and can be line bred this marks a major step forward in the development of a solid red.

My hatchery has decided to go back into breeding angels within a year we will be turning out at least 1000 angels per week. When these numbers are achieved I can generally pick out about 1or2 angels weekly of very red colouration. usually equal to the photo above in quality. Of course these are one offs they may not breed true. If anyone out there has the resources and desire (it will take years) to attempt the pursuit of the solid red strain I will make these fish available.

DiscusMad
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 11:47 AM
from what I understand he takes the best 100 pairs from 2000 fish but will email him again

DiscusMad
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:13 PM
HI discusmad, If you have email contact with this guy, if you get the chance could you ask him if his angels that are line bred still retain the red colouring or does he have to outbreed with marbled to maintain the red. I always lost the red colouring in line breeding. If his don't and can be line bred this marks a major step forward in the development of a solid red.

this is his reply

There is no red on any angelfish that I'm aware of. Intense orange is
the best we can do at this time. Linebreeding is the only way to retain
color. Outcrosses will almost always result in less color.

Steve Rybicki
Angels Plus http://www.angelsplus.com/
P.O. Box 886
Olean NY 14760

DiscusMad
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:14 PM
that would look red to me lol beening red and green colourblind :lol:

DiscusMad
Wed Feb 07, 2007, 08:17 PM
http://users.adelphia.net/~newbreeds/redangelpg1.html

found this was realy good read

fishhead
Fri Feb 09, 2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the info Discus Mad, It was an interesting read. My business partner is currently running around the wholesalers looking for the redest koi angels he can find for breeding. When these reach breeding size I'll post a picture of the adults and their young and we'll see what happens when we line breed. Perhaps the newer strains of koi might breed true, if they do this will be quite exciting and we'll see over time if we can't produce that elusive red angel.

uh oh discus
Mon Feb 19, 2007, 05:00 AM
my LFS has those! they call it the "koi angel". they are all very young and sell for 5.99 USD a piece. i was about to grab some but didnt come across the one i like. they have more black and orange and white spots. not purple copper color like the first pic.

fishnben
Fri Feb 23, 2007, 02:06 AM
There are some around the place at the moment. I picked a few up a few weeks ago and they have settled in very well. I have put a few pics in my gallery. They are German bred and they are sold as Red Koi Angels. The red coloring is quite varied from fish to fish.
This one was the pick of the bunch from 15-20 fish I bought into the shop.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_thumbnail.php?pic_id=1273