PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Peppering Happen?

Matt_Discus
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 03:41 AM
Hi guys I have a question to ask IO've been to some aquariums and seen discus with black dots on there face and body and I believe it is peppering so I was wondering wat causes peppering On discus to happen?

Thanks ...Matt..

mistakes r crucial
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 07:18 PM
Hi Matt,

Any Discus that has Pigeon Blood genes have a tendancy towards peppering, it's a genetic thing. However, we can help or hinder the situation in the way we keep the fish. If you keep good lighting on a tank it will help minimize peppering, keep them dark and you'll go along way in creating the first black Discus.
MAC

discus lover01
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 05:33 AM
i agree with the last post it's genetic there are lots that say it's food and water but i think it's from the parents and i have done experiment when i had 2 pigeons here with pepper i kept light off for 6 days and by time turned light on they were almost black aftr having light on everyday for week but turning off at night they were nearly all orange and pepper had reuced by 95%

gro
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 03:44 AM
yea, i have actually noticed that mine has lost a fair bit of peppering since i added a second light.