PDA

View Full Version : New too discus couple of ques thnx :)

BillyFurtado
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 12:04 PM
Umm. hey there i actually dont have any discus as of right now the whole reason of my aquarium was my reaction when i seen one in a pet store i actually started my tank in sep i have 7 neon tetras all my water levels a perfect the tank has been going for about 50 days so i do get everything corret i have been quite patient i was going to ask about my filter i have a rena xp2 for a 75 gallon tank and i have a 30 not that big but i did order 2 discus and i did read somthing about over filter and too much current i also have quite a few plants in there now umm and i have a co2 defuser that i just purchased today and is there such thing as too much plants like its not overly clustered but it looks nice and natural right now im doing about 60% water change a week soo with the discuss ive read that lots of water change is manditory well thnx alot and for my few question muchly appeciated if u can get them thnx alot :)

nicholas76
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 12:35 PM
im sorry whats the question?

lol

BillyFurtado
Sun Dec 03, 2006, 01:01 PM
my filter does it create too much flow ?
can u have too many plants ?
and i also add another umm about adding discus in the future so lets say i get a bigger tank and have 2 discus now if i wanted another could i get another one or with the other two take effect ?
thnx

Merrilyn
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 06:09 AM
Hi Billy and welcome to the forum. It seems that you have a 75 gallon tank. The rule of thumb for keeping discus is one adult discus per 10 gallons of water.

You could easily keep 7 or 8 adult discus in your tank without overcrowding.

Discus come from fairly still waters, so they don't like too much movement in the water, but even so, they need lots of oxygen so you really need to have an airstone in there as well as your filters. I like to use a spray bar on the outlet of the filters, and direct it across the surface of the water, so that you still get lots of surface exchange, but no current deeper in the water.

You can't really have too many plants, but it's probably best to plant them around the back and sides of the tank, and allow some swimming room in the centre of the tank. You could also add some driftwood, and that will give a nice natural appearance, but I wouldn't add any rocks.

Have a look in the photo gallery for some ideas of planted tanks, and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck with your discus.

We were all new once, so don't be afraid to ask questions :P

BillyFurtado
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 06:31 AM
thnx Merrilyn for the great info :)